Thread: PORTOBELLO-mush. STEW-FAB!

Hi everyone, I made this earlier this week, and am making it again today, and probably, as often as possible.

Note: Don't skimp on the portobello's. That's what give it it's rich thickness.

IMPORTANT - Regular flour does NOT work well in this recipe (learned the hard way!). The stew comes out lumpy and does not taste the same. Make sure you use WONDRA

* Exported from MasterCook *

Portobello Mushroom Stew

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 pound Portobello mushrooms* coarsley chopped(pieces should be size of stew beef)
    1 can beef broth,low sodium, 99% fat free
    1/3 cup red wine
    1/2 cup onion* -- chopped
    1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
    1 clove garlic* -- pressed
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 cup low fat sour cream
    1/4 cup flour -- I used Wondra

1. Combine all ingreds. in pam-sprayed crock, EXCEPT flour & sour cream.
    2. Cook on low 7 hours.
    3. Mix sour cream & flour tog. & add to crock.
    4. Cook on high 1-hr.

Enjoy!

Description:
    "4 servings // 2=points ea."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 81 Calories; 2g Fat (31.0% calories
    from fat); 1g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 5mg
    Cholesterol; 70mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Other
    Carbohydrates.

NOTES : This wonderful recipe comes from wwwcrockpot. It was posted by
    "Amy". I reworked the recipe myself, to zap it up a little.

It is really something! Very, very good! I made this in my Baby
    Crock (1 1/2 qt.) It was the perfect size/temp.for this lovely
    recipe.

Bon Appetit!
    Dawna
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Replies

Hi Dawna,

I think you and I have similar tastes because I've yet to find any of your recipes to be losers! Thanks for your work. I keep thinking that I should add some recipes as part of the team effort but so many of my good ones are from here! I love portobellos and will try this one this week.

Thanks again,
    Tena

p.s. I'm NOT a stalker!

Replies

Thanks Dawna, I found it. I was looking under soup and stews [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Oh well at least I'm not seeing thats that aren't there. Will make this tomorrow night for dinner. My family loves mushroom. These are expensive, but worth it. [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]
    Your CA buddySharon/Parklady Life time: 7-24- 01 Lost 42.2 #**********************************"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." **********************************

Dawna, this sounds AWESOME and I can't wait to try it!

Thanks a million - luckily I always keep Wondra on hand and use it for sauces and gravies and soups - it just blends so much better than regular flour!

Char

Denise02 Guest

I tried one like this a while back.
    I am a big mushroom person. I have not had a lot of experience with the portabella mushrooms though. I made a stew similar to this before and did not like it. I found the portabella to be almost like chewing on a tire. What would cause the rubber texture of the mushroom???

Denise

Hi Denise, I don't know what would make them (portobello's) so tough. Hmmmm. Were you using them in a crockpot recipe? Actually, before this recipe, I had tried them in several things myself, and not had good luck.

later...
    Dawna

Replies

This sounds great. I will definitely try it.

Question for Dawna or Char: What is the difference b/t Wondra and regular flour?

Thanks,
    Cheryl

Thinkin Thin Guest

And I'd like to add another question - where in the grocery store do you find Wondra? Is it by the flour or cornstarch?
    Patty

Hi, Wondra is a flour that is often used in gravies. It comes in a blue canister, and you find it in the area where flour/sugar is or sometimes it is also in the area where packaged/jarred gravies are.

It dissolves in liquids more easily than regular flour, and is less likely to get lumpy.

Dawna

[img]graemlins/sobbing.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sobbing.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sobbing.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sobbing.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sobbing.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sobbing.gif[/img]

Oh BCB's. I am saddddd. I got my new 8 qt crockpot, made the mushroom stew, but then read that I was supposed to let the crock run with 2 cups of water on high for 30 minutes before using,and had to dump my new creation. I did taste it, and it was good, but I made a few mistakes. It starts off looking like there is not enough liquid, so I added more, and it was so watery, but still delish.
    Jamie<br /><br />"The deepest personal defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become." <br />-- Ashley Montagu

Hi Jamie, So sorry about this...I make this soup in my 1.5 baby crock. I think the food comes out better/moister when the food is packed snugley into the crock. I have four crocks and I match the recipe to the crock size.

Dawna

I want to pick up the items to make this today, but what is the red wine??? Is it red wine for cooking? Can you leave this out or substitute? I do have red wine vinegar at home here.

Thanks!

Hi, I use red cooking wine which I buy at my supermarket. It is in the salad dressing area. I know you can also buy a bottle of inexpensive red wine at the liquor store also, however, my grocery store has a particularly good line of cooking wines.

Yes, you do have to use it in this recipe & it is definitely not red wine vinegar. This is something entirely different.

While you are shopping, also pick up a small jar of Hormel Real Bacon Bits. I made this stew yesterday, and added 2=T. of these to this recipe, and it made it even better.
    I am going to rework this including the bacon bits through M/C this afternoon when I return from work. I will repost the recipe with the new point value.

Bon Appetit!
    Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Just an FYI- I used the cheapest burgundy I could find, but kind of regretted it at first. It was so strong and alcohol smelling, I didnt think I would like it. Hours later, it was fine, since the alcohol burned off, but I was nervous.

According to some chefs, anything, even the cheapest wine is better than cooking wine. My guess is that it is all the same for this recipe. [img]graemlins/clown.gif[/img]
    Jamie<br /><br />"The deepest personal defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become." <br />-- Ashley Montagu