Thread: deli chick recipe vs rotisserie chick

Replies

I just went back to the crock recipe for deli chicken and it sounds great from all the kudos I read. But I wonder if anyone who's made this recipe can tell me if it is better than the chicken from the showtime rotisserie? I love that chicken! It takes a little over an hour for about a 4 ponder, but i like the idea of leaving it in the slow cooker while i work. Just wondering!

Hi Lapcats, Well, I don't have one of those rotisserie's, but maybe you can answer a question for me.

I have been looking at them and wondering how hard are they to clean? A friend of mine returned hers because it was just too darn hard and time consuming to clean. What do you think about this?
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Nope, I have a Showtime Rotesserie and it is a snap to clean! The bottom tray is nonstick. I fill a sink full of soapy hot water and when my chicken (or whatever I've cooked - ribs are great and so are shish-ka-bobs) is done, I slide everything - except the food right into the sink. When we have finished eating, its swish-swish, dry it off, wipe out the inside and I am done!

I love my Showtime Rotesserie. I believe it was one of my best purchases to help support me OP.

Andi
    191/169.4/155<br /><br />--------------------------<br /><i>"You will only become what you are becoming right now. Though you cannot go back and make a brand new start, my friend. Anyone can start from now and make a brand new end." John C. Maxwell</i>

Thanks Andi, I am going to have to look into one of these.

Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Hi kiddos!
    I have a Showtime also, and have done many a whole chicken in it (delicious BTW!) but I am just about to go put the bird into the crockpot and see how it comes out! I'll post after dinner.

I, too, LOVE my rotisserie and I do not find it that difficult to clean up. I've had it 3 years, and my main beef was that the top of the drip pan, which is slotted and nonstick, had an accumulation of "stuff" which had, over time, cooked onto it and couldn't be BUDGED.

Had a little brainstorm yesterday (scary thing) and I just popped it into my oven before I started the "self clean" cycle - WELL! That thing looks like NEW now! Next time I clean my oven, I am going to put the back splash guard in there too!

I also put in my cast iron grill pan (the kind that has the raised ridges in the bottom, impossible to clean too) and it came out looking like a brand new pan! Of course it had to be reseasoned but no biggie there.

I can't recommend this for everybody, because I don't know how hot all self-cleaning ovens get (mine is about a 30 year old GE electric) but it sure worked great for me!

Char

OK, so here's my unsolicited, slightly biased opinion...the chicken in the crockpot is every bit as tasty as the chicken from the Showtime Rotisserie!

Having said THAT, let me qualify my statement just a bit...back in the days before WW when I thought that the SKIN was the best part of the bird, there would have been no contest, as the rotisserie method turns out deeply browned, crispy skin. MMMM! But these days, since I'm not willing to "pay the points" nor suffer the health hazards of eating the skin, I'd have to say that the chicken itself was very comparable. If anything, the breast meat (which I gave to DH) is a little more moist. No big surprise!

Either way, the chicken is "fall off the bone tender" and extremely delicious, so I'd say, if you have all day or just want the chicken to go totally unattended, use the crockpot. If you want to eat it in an hour and a half, and (like me!) you just plain like to watch it go 'round and 'round...use the Showtime! I will be using BOTH depending on the timeframe and my whim!

Char

Replies

Sorry, Legal Eagle! I haven't looked here in a few days but I agree with Charski About the clean up. I don't think it's hard, especially since DH does it! I say the cook doesn't clean, and my sweetheart goes along with that! Seriously, I'm a neat-nik and don't like things to be in crevices, etc. He always also cleans the backsplash for me. It's lost some of it's original glow, but none the worst for wear. I'll have him try the oven cleaning method! I do my bar-b-q racks that way since they're porcelain. Still haven't tried the deli chicken, but I will (eventually!) I do love the salsa chicken!

Replies

Didn't mean to post twice and couldn't figure out how to post again immediately! Think I've got it! Anyway, Legal Eagle, do think about the Showtime as I think it is the moistest meat ever and it doesn't fall off the bone like crockpots which makes for a nicer presentation. At times that's important. I like that the fat drips off instead of sitting in the fat even tho it's on a rack in the crockpot.