Thread: Rice in a crock pot? help cybergranny or mrs zotz or someone...

I'm an old dog learning some new tricks - trying to get use to using the crock pot. So far I love it! coming home to a ready meal is wonderful. I've looked at some recipes that call for rice, but most say just serve over hot rice, implying you make it by itself. That's fine if I want instant white rice, but I much prefer brown rice (& I don't like the instant brown rice). I found one recipe that said to put the rice in the last hour of cooking, but that defeats what I'm using the crock pot for - I want to walk in the door & eat - if I had that extra hour, I could whip up all kinds of things. Anyway, my question is, what would happen if I put in uncooked, long cooking brown rice w/ my meat & sauce at the beginning of the 8 hours? Mush? How do I judge how much liquid to use??? TIA
    JO

MAINTAINING FOR 11 YEARS 0 Months!!

IF YOU NEVER LEAVE, YOU NEVER HAVE TO COME BACK

Hey Jo!
    Unless a recipe is geared for the addition of long-cooking grains, you may end up disappointed! Or at the very least, you'll probably have to do some experimenting. If it's a REALLY "liquidy" recipe to start with you might be OK!

Here's what I do with bulgur though...I cook up a BUNCH of it and then just reheat it in the microwave when I want it. I.e., yesterday I made up 2 cups of bulgur with 2 cans FF chicken broth; it's in the fridge. Today, I made a crockpot with pork sirloins, jarred sweet & sour red cabbage, onion, and a bottle of n/a beer (gawd it SMELLS so good!) so when we get home from WW meeting tonight, I'll just portion out the bulgur and reheat it quickly.

My Mom cooks up a big pot of rice and since it's only herself she's cooking for, she portions it out and freezes it. Works great too.

Just a thought!

Char [img]smile.gif[/img]

I am an avid crock pot user. I have 4 of them, currently. I have yet to find a recipe where rice really comes out good, but I am always looking and trying new ideas.

Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Thanks both of you. Duh, don't know why I didn't think of preparing a batch to have on hand :rolleyes: . I visit the crockpot recipe area every time something new is posted so if ya come up w/ more, please share!
    JO

Replies

Char, I'm just learning how to REALLY cook. Would you mind posting some more detailed directions for the pork sirloin crockpot meal you talked about?
    - Kimberly

291.6/291.6/262

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Emerson

Hi Kim!

I'll try and see if I can remember this one for you! I cook "by the seat of my pants" so unless I write down what I did, it will never be quite the same twice! My ex used to say, "I'm really going to savor this meal because I know I'll never get it exactly like this again." Hence ex.

I buy the pork sirloin because it's very lean. I find them at Costco and this particular dish, I found sliced pork sirloin (about 1" thick slices) at Safeway.

I also had a jar of Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage in the cupboard. I believe it was probably 28 ounces or so, it was a good sized jar. I emptied that into the crockpot, and I had 1/4 head of green cabbage in the fridge, so I thinly sliced that and added it to the pot. I then thinly sliced an onion. Took a med. sized Granny Smith apple, quartered and cored it, and sliced each quarter into thin slices, and into the pot. I sprinkled about a tablespoon of dry mustard powder over the veggies. Covered the veggies with the pork sirloin slices, and sprinkled them with a little garlic salt and pepper. Pour a 12 ounce non-alcoholic beer (I like Clausthaler best) over all THAT. It cooked on low about 6 hours. I served it with the bulgur. For the pork, I count it at 1 point per ounce cooked weight. The only points involved in the rest would be 1 point for the apple and 1 point for the n/a beer.

It smelled SO GOOD cooking all day! The veggies turn a rather odd color, due to the red cabbage which goes kind of brownish with prolonged cooking, but it tastes wonderful. DH loved it.

There, now that the "recipe" is down (and hoping I didn't leave anything out, but I think I got it all) now even *I* can make it again!

Char

Char - that sounds like something we'd like too! Question, tho - could I use a regular beer? Or can you buy a n/a beer singly? Thanks!
    JO

Hey Jo!
    Sure, a regular beer would work fine. I never keep it around any more because it's 3 points per bottle. I like the occasional "beer flavor" with my Mexican food or like with this dish though. It will add more points to the total, but even at that, the veggies/apple/beer would total 4 points for the whole thing! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Char

Hey there for the rice. Buy a rice cooker. It cooks about 20 minutes or 30. You won't be able to eat right away but then again rice doesn't take that long to cook and it is effortless with the rice cooker. Just put in some rice and water and let it cook by itself.

I have never used the rice cooker to leave on the whole day so I don't know if you could leave that on to cook along with the crockpot. I do however make my rice early in the afternoon (if I'm home) and its still good and warm by night.

Maybe it will help. You can definitely cook brown rice on the rice cookers.