Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAVAJO BEEF & CHILI

This is a new recipe I found at members.aol.com, and I am trying for the first time today. I have no idea how it will come out, but it looks good to me.

3/4 pound lean beef stew meat cut into 3/4" cubes

1 large onion
    2 large cloves garlic-minced
    1 14.5 ounce can ready cut tomatoes with juice
    1 7oz. can diced green chiles-drained
    1 8.5 oz. can mexican who kernel corn, undrained
    1 1/2 tsp. drien oregano
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
    2 T. yellow cornmeal

Combine all ingreds, except cornmeal, in a 3.5 quart slow cooker, mixing well. Cover and cook on low 7 - 8 hours.

Turn control to High. Stir in cornmeal. Cover and cook on high 20-25 minutes.

Serves 4. WW Points - 5 per serving

Note: I always check points on every recipe I make, even if they are posted. But because I have to leave for my office soon, and I wanted to get this posted now, I have not checked the points on this.

I will check back in later tonight to let you know how this came out.

later - Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Replies

Looks amazing! Can't wait for your review
    195/169/144

Well the Navajo Beef slow cooker meal was great. My family, including skinny pickey 17 year old, gave it 10 points. Also, I went over the point count and did figure it as 20 points for the entire recipe or 5 points for each of four generous servings.

I've already been asked to make it again soon.

One change I made was I increased the corn meal to 3 tablespoons, at the end of the recipe. When I figured out the points for 2 T. it was the same (2 points for 2 T. or 3 T.). Anyway this was one great meal.

later - Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Replies

This looks very good. I am going to buy the ingredients and make it this week.
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan
    "Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer
    "Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall
    "The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Replies

Darn! Only thing missing in my cupboard is the cornmeal. Will definately make this soon.
    195/169/144

Hi Morgan - One tip for you on the cornmeal, and something I learned the hard way, is that once opened, it gets stale very quickly, therefore, I keep it in the back of my fridg.

Bon Appetit -

Dawna

I'd like to try this recipe - I just have one question...what is mexican whole kernal corn? If I can't find a can marked "mexican whole kernal corn" can I just use regular canned corn?

Mexican corn is made by green giant, and it is sold in the supermarkets where I am. By all means, use the regular canned corn. I don't think it will make any difference.

Dawna

Wow Dawna, this sounds great! My DH loves Mexican and the spicier the better. Guess what we are having for tomorrow's dinner? LOL

Thanks!
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/
    original starting weight 270
    returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005
    241.4/142/155
    Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

Replies

I made this for dinner tonight. It was very good.....except that when I assembled this at 4:55am, in my sleepyness and my rush to get going to work, I ignored the part about draining the chilis. And....I had grabbed one can of chopped chilis, and one can of chopped jalapenos. 4 oz each can, close to the 7 oz called for. That is one spicy dish! And I forgot to put in the cornmeal. Next time I will pay attention to the directions. You do get a generous portion.
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan
    "Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer
    "Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall
    "The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Replies

Thankyou for the cornmeal tip. I have it cooking right now and it smells good [img]smile.gif[/img] I hope it's not too spicy! I've never used green chiles before, they were hard to find, this tiny little yellow can, only 5 oz can's here. I'm going to add the 3 tbsp of cornmeal like you did, CAN'T WAIT! Yummy
    195/169/144

I also have this cooking. I didn't realize there was yellow and white cornmeal and just wrote cornmeal on my list. Fortunately I got the yellow cornmeal. It smells delicious [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Currently postpartum pre pregnancy weight l42/post baby l84/current weight 143/ goal l40 ww goal l40<br />Lifetime member since 9/l9/00<br /><br />KarinC.<br />"To stumble and fall is not a disgrace, if you summon the will to get back in the race."

We actually finished this for dinner tonite and it was delicious!! Next time I'll have to double the recipe because we like leftovers and DH always has 2 servings. Thanks for a great recipe; I love to cook in the crockpot.
    Currently postpartum pre pregnancy weight l42/post baby l84/current weight 143/ goal l40 ww goal l40<br />Lifetime member since 9/l9/00<br /><br />KarinC.<br />"To stumble and fall is not a disgrace, if you summon the will to get back in the race."

Replies

I'm drooling...

we loved this recipe! perfect for an autumn meal! a keeper!

Replies

you listed an onion on there, but not sure what to do with it...chop it? slice it? leave it whole?

Mexican corn is also called mexi-corn and is whole kernel corn with red and green peppers in it. Also made by other companys and called corn and peppers. Pretty easy to find.

Advice anyone??

Thanks!!!!!!!
    Teresa
    200/200/145<BR>Nothing yet, but just you wait...I'm just getting started!

Sorry, The onion should be diced.

Dawna

Hey Kelly!
    This looks great! Approximately how many cups (ha ha) is the serving?

Sounds delicious! I think this is what we will have for supper tonight. Thanks!

Replies

I made this for dinner tonight. Went lite on the chilis - only used a 4 oz can, but came out VERY good!! I kept the three other protions and single packaged them for the freezer. (hubby won't eat anything stew or soup like, so it's just for me)

My two-year old even liked it, but then he likes things that are a little spicy, oddly enough. (of course, while I was pregnant with him I wanted SPICY foods...especially indian. The hotter the better. His love of spice must have started in the womb!) [img]smile.gif[/img]

This is definitely a keeper!!

Thank you!!!!!!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    200/200/145<BR>Nothing yet, but just you wait...I'm just getting started!

Replies

Doesn't it always happen that there's always one ingredient that you are missing when you come upon a yummy recipe? :eek: One more trip to the market for corn meal........

nursey Guest

I made this for dinner tonight.... LOVED IT! DH did to and he is finicky... Anyone also definitely a keeper for us! I also used the 3 T cornmeal and it was really good! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!
    Amy

Replies

This is going to be my most favorite crockpot recipe! It was delicious! I too made it with diced jalapenos instead of diced green chili. I only used a 4 oz. can but it made it real spicy!Great recipe thanks! [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]

I didn't have any stewbeef, so I used 1 lb ground
    round. It smells great! Hubby is making cornbread to go with.

Linda [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Replies

OK I,m going to try it! I have some venison in the freezer I will use instead of the stew meat. I,m off to the market to get the other ingredients....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast