Thread: Any VEGANS out there?

SuzyQ99 Guest

I was just wondering how many of the WW vegetarians are vegans?? It would be great to see some dairy/egg free posts ... here are a few of my favs:

Macaroni and Cheesy Tofu
    Ingredients:
    · 1 box macaroni cooked up
    · 1 med. onion finely diced
    · 1 cup (or more) of mashed tofu
    · 1 1/3 cup soy milk
    · 2 T flour
    · 1/2 c nutritional yeast
    · 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
    · 3 dashes Tamari sauce
    · 1/2 t garlic powder
    · pepper to taste
    · soy parmesan to taste
    Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375. While macaroni is boiling, chop onion. Combine soy milk, flour, yeast, Worchestershire sauce, Tamari sauce, pepper and garlic powder. Put drained macaroni in an oblong baking dish. Add tofu and soy milk mixture. Shake soy parmesan on top and mix. Bake at 375 for approx. 30 min. till done.
    Serves: 4

Roasted Asparagus Spinach Fajitas
    Ingredients:
    · 3 sprigs of asparagus (r more if you like)
    · 1-2 cups of baby spinach
    · Asian chili sauce
    · 1/2 clove garlic
    · Pam cooking spray
    · flour tortilla
    · one slice vegan soy/rice cheese (mozzarella flavor)
    · some type of tomato salsa, preferably a good one and maybe a "roasted flavor"
    Directions:
    First you wash and cut up the asparagus and just wash the spinach. Spray a pan with Pam and sauté garlic until it sizzles. Then, add the asparagus and like 3 squirts of chili sauce (more if you want it to be REALLY spicy less if you prefer mild.) After that cooks for a few minutes add the spinach and 1-2 tablespoons (or more if you prefer) of the salsa (watch the pan because the spinach will wilt quickly.) Once the spinach is wilted take the pan off of the heat and set it aside. Take some sort of metal rack (a small one) and toast the tortilla on a burner... it will be done quickly so make sure it does not burn. I put a few strips of soy cheese on the top of the tortilla and they melted nicely. Then, put the asparagus spinach filling in the tortilla and eat.
    THIS IS GREAT and super quick.
    Serves: 1

Best "eggs" in the World
    Ingredients:
    · 1/3 to 1/2 lb firm tofu
    · 1/2 to 1 tbsp chopped garlic (to taste)
    · 1 capful olive oil (or an adequate amount of oil/butter spray)
    · 6 med. mushrooms
    · 1 tomato
    · 1 small grated carrot (provides texture and a bit of sweetness)
    · Onion if desired
    · Chili Powder
    · 1-2 slices "veggie cheese" made from soy
    Directions:
    Begin by placing garlic and small amount oil in medium saucepan on low to medium heat. Next dice tofu to desired thickness (I chop 1/4 a block for myself, and 1/3 to 1/2 for two) and add to garlic. Let the tofu soak up the flavor while you chop up the mushrooms, tomato, and onion (optional) , and grate the carrot-I often use a couple baby carrots because of exceptional sweetness! Add veggies to tofu in pan and let cook for a few minutes. At this point you can add chili powder as desired, I usually put in enough to give it a fairly red color. A small amount of soy or rice milk can be added to change consistancy, but not too much or it will be too liquidy. The last step is to add in 1-2 slices of a soy cheese (optional) to give it a creamy, cheesey flavor without any of the animal products!
    Serves: 2
    Preparation time: 15 min

ENJOY!!

Replies

Hi!
    I, myself, am not a vegan, but my aughter has just taken that step. I have been lucky to find many vegan products at the Trader Joe's store that just opened near me. Also, if you go on the PETA website and become a PETA member, they'll send you their magazine which has many vegan recipes. They also have a PETA store which carries vegan cookbooks. Hope this helps.