Thread: spaghetti squash question

I made a spaghetti squash recipe last week. It pleased my family and I would like to try it again. My only problem was cutting the darn thing. It was more difficult than cutting thru a pumpkin. Did I get a bad squash? (I never brought one before.) or is there a trick to cutting this I don't know.

thanks
    YaYa Name Empress Sleeping Butterfly

I fix spaghetti squash at least once a week. I found the best way is to use a large knife and pierce two or three holes in the top (making sure that it goes into the center). Then microwave it on high for 10 min, rotate it then microwave it for another 10 min. You will find the skin very soft then. Just cut it and remove the seeds and pulp. You will tell the pulp from the actual squash by the color. Enjoy Enjoy The recipe that I use is a spaghetti squash stir-fry that I got from the WW cookbook "Simply the Best". Happy cooking!!!!!!
    .......Nancy....... <br />"only keep a journal on the weeks that you would like to lose weight" quote from my leader - ..Martha..<br />"do not allow yesterday to take up to much of today"<br />SW 296.6<br />CW 231.6<br />drum roll please....65 lbs never to be seen again<br />OP since 01/02/2002

3. Post

I've been curious about spaghetti squash for some time. Thanks for advice on cooking it. My question is this: All I see in the grocery store are about the size of a large honeydew melon. It seems that will make a lot more than two people can eat? True?

This reply is for Krissie Ann. Yes it really is more than 2 people can eat. I am the only one in my family who will eat it because everyone else is too chicken to try it. I cut it in half( put the other half away. you could even cut once more I always have some left over, and I save for another day!) and rinse, wrap in plastic wrap and microwave anywhere from 6-10 minutes or until outer shell is soft. It is incredible I use in replace of noodles for Spagettit sauce, alfredo sauce, etc. I don't notice a difference. And it is o points!

I poke mine w/ an ice pick in several spots, then microwave - but the total time for me isn't more than about 12 minutes 'cause I don't like it to get too mushy - if it remains somewhat firm it's more like speg noodles. It's hot & kind-of difficult to handle so sometimes I'll cook it, cut it in half, then let it sit awhile to cool down before I scoop it out - reheats in seconds. I'm the only one in my family who eats it - I'll fix the whole thing, then freeze leftovers.
    JO

MAINTAINING FOR 11 YEARS 0 Months!!

IF YOU NEVER LEAVE, YOU NEVER HAVE TO COME BACK

How much do most of you pay per pound for this?

Replies

bumping up
    Kathy<br />Started WW 5-6-02<br />SW 211.2 <br />WWG 155<br />CW 148<br />PG 150<br />With God's help I am strong enough to conquer anything, even myself.

For Heaklea,
    The very best way to cut spaghetti squash is to buy it in Publix, give it to anyone in the produce dept. and ask them to cut it for you, they will cut it for no charge. By the way, where in Florida do you live? [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]

slave2cats Guest

I'm new to the winter squash thing - but I did learn something when I made my first acorn squash last week - do NOT use your rolling pin as a hammer on the knife blade! I have little notches all over it now..... [img]graemlins/ugh.gif[/img]

Bethanne

Replies

To IndyNellie's question about cost, I try to get all my squash for 50 cents a pound and under. I buy several when I find them that cheap or cheaper. My recent purchase of squash was only .39 cents! [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I got a great variety and of course a spaghetti!
    Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!
    Red Green
    ~~~
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God
    ~~~
    -30!

I've been looking for spaghetti squash and i'm not sure that my store carries it. I don't even know what it looks like but I read all the stickers on them and I haven't found one yet.
    Can anyone describe it for me??

kiwi

Here is a website that shows pics and tells you how to fix it. http://www.fabulousfoods.com/feature...pagsquash.html

Hope that it helps
    Sara