Thread: Eggplant Parmigiana (From Today's Special)

1 eggplant (about 1 1/2 lbs.), pared and sliced 1/2" thick
    1 egg white, lightly beaten with two Tbls. water
    1/2 cup seasoned Itlian bread crumbs
    1 cup reduced-fat spaghetti sauce
    3/4 cup shredded FF mozzarella cheese
    3 Tbls. grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375. Spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Coat eggplant slices with egg white, then bread crumbs. Arrange on prepared baking sheets; bake 30 minutes. Turn slices over; bake, until browned on both sides, 10 minutes longer. Remove from oven; leave oven on.

3. Spread 1/4 cup sauce over bottom of 8x8" baking dish. Arrange half the eggplant in a single layer over sauce; top with half of the remaining sauce, then half of the cheeses. Repeat layers. Bake, covered, until heated through and cheese is melted, 30-40 minutes.

Makes 4 servings; 3 points per serving
    193 cal, 3g fat, 4.3g fiber
    Dee

I;ve made this twice & it is excellent!

However, I'd like to share my technique that I think made it better..

After paring & slicing eggplant..
    Layer the slices in a colander set over a plate & lightly ! salt the slices... Weight down w/a plate & a few canned goods & let set an hour or so ( You can do this step earlier in day...)

Then rinse & drain & proceed as directed. The eggplant tastes much better this way...

I've also assembled the casserole in the am covered & put in fridge & baked later in pm..

Just add a few minutes to baking time!

Enjoy!

Jonie

I made this last night and we thought it was really good .Hubby is a big meat and tator guy but he didnt complain.
    Dawn
    "When we go back to the Old way of eating ,
    we go back to the Old weight...." Author Unknown
    Dawn

I am going to make this tonight. Unfortunately I will be the only one eating it, since my partner doesn't like eggplant. (He's eating liver--yecchhh!)
    I am going to half the recipe---but at 3 points per serving I am going to eat it all!!
    Mehadable<br />OP since January 2, 2002<br />206/170/??

BakerChick,

Thanks for the advise. I made this last weekend and though I liked it, it seemed a bit bitter to me. It also seemed a bit tough. Does this mean it wasn't cooked long enough????
    Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime
    4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115
    Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

This recipe was great!! Although I cut the recipe in half, I couldn't eat it all, so it was a very point-friendly dinner at 6 points.

Grainne: Mine wasn't tough at all. I was in a bit of a hurry, so I cooked the eggplant at 400 rather than 375. It was nice and crispy. I used Classico Spicy Red Pepper pasta sauce which also gave it some zip. (1 point for 1/2 cup). Instead of dipping the eggplant in egg white, I dipped the slices in a couple of tablespoons of FF Italian dressing (0 points).

The only trouble I had was getting 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs to coat all the slices. Some were more "coated" than others.
    Mehadable<br />OP since January 2, 2002<br />206/170/??

Replies

I made something similar to this last week for dinner. Instead of breading and baking the eggplant though I broiled it until it was brown on both sides. Then I layered it in a baking dish with 1/2 c Hunts Sugar Free Spaghetti Sauce and 1/4 c Sargento Part Skim Ricotta, a sprinkling of Lite Mozzerella and Lite Parm. Baked it in the oven until it was bubbly. Boy was it good! Oh by the way look for the male eggplants. They have a smaller "bellybutton" on the bloom end then the females. They also have less seeds and therefore tend to be less bitter. I learned that on the food channel!
    Susan
    SW 251.5/CW 241.5/GW 145

Another way to tell the difference is if it has a round dot that looks like a dimple, it's a male; if it has a dash, it's a female. Also, choose eggplants with a green not brown cap (fresher and old ones can become bitter) and lighter in weight than the rest (less seeds). [img]smile.gif[/img]