Thread: TVP?

Could someone please tell me what this is?
    In my travels around for recipes, I have come across this quite a bit, as an ingred..
    Some of the recipes look great, except I can't figure out what TVP is.

Thanks....Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

it is textured vegetable protein =TVP
    Charski has some great ideas for it. I put tvp in google search and got lots of recipes and ideas. It is soy and has to be reconstitued(sp).I have a bag but havent used it yet can use it in meat balls meat loafs.chili etc.
    Im sure Charski will see this she and wwcarol were talking about starting a post about it
    Dawn1943
    "When we go back to the Old way of eating ,
    we go back to the Old weight...." Author Unknown
    Dawn

Thank you all for replying.

I still am confused, though. Where is it in the supermarket? Is it the same as Morningstar vegetables crumbles? These are great but they are tricky to use in some recipes. They tend to dry out in crock pots, and can become rubbery and chewey if not cooked right. They absorb a lot of water.
    Does it taste like meat? Is this what it is a substitute for? How do you rehydrate?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I would like to get up and running with this, if possible.

Thanks everyone for all help.

Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Hi Dawn! Glad to "see" you here!

Yep, I love TVP and use it for many things these days. For example, last night made one of DH's favorites, Green Enchiladas. I will post the recipe tomorrow, too tired tonight. I also made a wonderful meatloaf using half TVP and half extra lean ground sirloin, came out to 3 points per HEARTY slice. Also use it for tacos, dolmades, chili, eggrolls...anywhere you'd use ground turkey or beef. It looks rather like crumbled graham crackers before rehydrating, I rehydrate mine with boiling broth (either FF chicken or FF beef depending on the recipe I'll be using it in) which takes about 7/8 cup boiling liquid per cup of TVP (I just use 2 cups TVP and one 14.5 oz. can broth). The kind I buy is bulk at Whole Foods stores and comes out to about 1.5 points per CUP, rehydrated.

Will post more later!

Char [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dawna, I've not seen this in any of my local markets - I buy it in bulk at Whole Foods. It's dry and looks rather like crumbled graham crackers. I'm sure any health food type store would have it. I also have seen it in boxes similar to the Near East ones, I forget the brand name, in chunks and "chicken nugget" stuff and so on. I just buy the bulk because it's so inexpensive and 0 fat. Some of the boxed stuff I've looked at contained a significant amount of fat -- why??? I wonder???

You rehydrate it with about 7/8 cup boiling liquid to 1 cup TVP. I generally do 2 cups of TVP with 1 14.5 oz. can broth (either chicken or beef, depending on how I'll be using the TVP) which I bring to a boil in the microwave. Then I pour it over the TVP and let it stand for 5 minutes. You can now use it as is, or use it in recipes. When I do tacos, I add a packet of Taco seasoning mix to the boiling FF Beef broth, and sometimes I'll also add chopped onion and/or mild green canned chilies. (That's what we had tonight! Mmmm good!) I don't do anything further to it, just put in on the table and we fill our taco shells with that, then Veggie Shreds cheese, homemade salsa, and if I've gotten around to it, maybe some shredded lettuce or cabbage, but no one seems to mind if I leave that out!

Hope that helps you to find it and rehydrate it, you can also search on Google or Yahoo and just put "tvp" in the search bar, it will come up with sites that have recipes and also online sources for the TVP in granules, chunks, flavored, plain...one of these days I'm gonna order some of the chunky kind and give it a try too!

Char [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the help everyone. Now that I know what it is and where to find it, I am going to give it a try. I am really into crock potting right now, and the frozen vegetable crumbles don't seem to come out right in the crock. They absorb a lot of liquid and come out all rubbery.

Bon appetit!

Dawna

i bought mine at GNC
    they have the chips (little) and chunks too.
    Still havent used it yet but did make chili out of the green giant crumbles this week end didn't tell hubby yet. he ate it said was different than my reg. I couldn't tell the difference.
    Dawn
    "When we go back to the Old way of eating ,
    we go back to the Old weight...." Author Unknown
    Dawn

Replies

Just wanted to say thanks for explaining TVP...I am hypothyroid and soy products are a big NO NO. Now I know that this is a food to avoid!

Kim
    Restart 02/25/2012 at 268

2001cat Guest

Can you tell me why soy is a no-no for hypothyroid patients?

Replies

To The Top For Peach~

Replies

I'd like to know the answer to that question myself. I'm also hypothroid and I've not been told to swear off soy products. Inquiring minds want to know!
    JeanetteSki

Default Re: TVP?

I use crumbled tvp quite a lot but I bought some bigger flat pieces, sort of beef flavoured and like thin cuts of beef. What do I do with these? They taste sort of odd.

13. Default Re: TVP?

TVP is available at almost all organic food stores, i get mine at TALLYS ! The best part of TVP is that it takes on the flavor of whatever u put it into ! I love it ! its about $ 2 per pound !!!
    Last edited by butalli; 07-30-2005 at 09:41 AM. Reason: .

Replies

Default Re: TVP?

I buy my tvp online at www.emergencyessentials.com and have a ton of tvp uses. They also have a TON of tvp recipes on their site. Go to the search feature andtype tvp and you will be good to go! We especially like the taco and plain beef flavors. EE has beef, sausage, ham, chicken, bacon,etc. They come in tons of flavors. Happy hunting. A word of caution... if using tvp for the first time and not used to lots of soy, your system will appreciate you using it 3/4 to 1/2 "real meat" to 1/4 to1/2 tvp and then work yourself up to using all tvp.
    *Jeanne*
    Good things come to those who wait. GREAT things come to those who get off their butts and work for it!!