Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips & Tricks For The Mind

Default Tips & Tricks For The Mind

As much as possible, as close to a daily basis as possible, I am going to come up with one "thing" with the aim/hope that it's a tool to use mentally (and therefore sometimes emotionally as well) in the battle against the losing control and allowing weight gain.

If I can somehow manage to come up with 90 of them, I'll cap it there. I am going to share them here to document them and serve as a personal challenge for me to maintain the task. I also hope that sharing them is helpful to others.

There's no rules. It can be anything. This will be as free form as it gets. Maybe it's something borrowed or original? Maybe it's words or a photo or video? Maybe it's a personal story or observation? Anything goes.

If anyone has something that that want to share, feel free. If I like what you share, I just may adopt it myself into my ninety.

Default Re: Tips & Tricks For The Mind

#1 - Don't confuse hunger with thirst. Before sticking something solid in your mouth, have a big drink of water instead.

#2 - If you don't eat at least one apple a day, you're not trying. Apples contain a certain type of fiber called pectin which is found between the cell walls of plants and is classified as soluble fiber. Soluble fiber has been shown to slow down digestion by attracting water and forming a gel which ultimately helps you feel fuller longer.

Replies

Good points.

#1 - Eating food, when your not hungry, but stressed does not make the situation better. It just makes it worse because now you have to deal with the "situation", plus the "overeating".

Ashlee

Replies

#2 - Exercise is important. That does not mean you have to walk 10 miles at 10 miles an hour - lol, but just taking a walk every single day, or going to a Mall to walk is good for weight loss and overall good health. Do not get into the mindset, that if you don't walk "hard and fast", why bother.

Ashlee

Nice Ashlee!

#3 - If you hang out in a barber shop long enough, eventually you're going to get a haircut.

#4 - Food is fuel, not a pacifier.

#5 - Never forget that time you wanted/needed to wear something and you could not get it zippered/buttoned/snapped close, especially as you are about to snack on junk food.

#6 - Look around you. There are people who are overweight and there are people who are fit and able to maintain their weight. Decide which side you want to be on.

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Super Bowl XLI View Post
    #4 - Food is fuel, not a pacifier.
    Love this!
    Trudie
    HW: 190.4/SW: 180.2 5/23/07
    CW: phat PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Thanks Trudie.

#7 - Don't let the negativity of others become your stress.

#8 - Before you can start feeling good about yourself, you need to start feeling good about yourself.

#9 - Don't let your mouth right checks that your waistline will regret getting cashed.

#10 - If you're about to eat something because you're tired, or bored, or stalling on doing something else, instead of eating it, take a nap (even if it's just for 15 minutes) - and, as you're starting to fall asleep, begin to dream about how you want yourself to look and feel when you are not overweight.

#11 - Ask someone who has lost weight and kept it off about how they changed the way they eat and manage it.

#12 - On average, you could need to jog pretty fast for a half hour to burn off the calories in one frosted donut. Wouldn't it be easier just to skip the donut?

#13 - Treat bread as if it was cake.

#14 - Pausing for celebration breaks momentum. Keep the pedal to the metal.

Replies

Good ones.

#3 - Depressed because you can't lose weight, eat something, then be depressed (or more depressed) because you ate something and can't lose weight. It's a never ending circle.

Ashlee

Replies

#4 - Worrying (for me) causes weight gain and I worry a lot. Solution: Stop and give yourself a talk - what good does worrying do? Stop and go do something fun or interesting.

Ashlee

Nice Ashlee!

#15 - Always be aware that every choice you make has a consequence.

#16 - What you did yesterday, good or bad, doesn't matter. The only thing that is important is what you do right now.

#17 - Everyday, and several times a day, you should have 3 numbers on your mind: What you used to weigh, what you want to weigh, and what you actually weigh.

#18 - The only thing you are cheating on a "cheat day" is yourself.

#19 - Plateaus are just steps. It's up to you whether it's a step on the way up or down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast