Thread: Family friendly

1. Default Family friendly

I am starting WW yet again. I have a 12 year old girl & 14 year old boy. I would love to hear of any dinner ideas that are not too time consuming and the kids like also.

Default Re: Family friendly

Butterball turkey kielbasa and pork and beans
    Tracking is my new normal
    goal reached 1999 and 2011 and 20??

3. Default Re: Family friendly

Thank you!

Replies

Some of my favorite meals are anything with rice, or that goes in the oven. Set and forget for 20 minutes.
    Veggies can be cooked in the microwave. Little water, loose lid, about 5 minutes if frozen.
    Jason

Replies

Check out www.skinnytaste.com she has many family and kid friendly recipes, all with points. Never had a bad tasting recipe from her.
    Ann
    SW: 158.6 Dec. 10, 2010
    Goal weight: 137

Current weight 128.2 July 18, 2014🐾🐾🐾

Replies

I threw something together last night that my High School age son (who did not get his skinny genes from me! ) ravaged. It was off a weight watchers post on FB. I had to go to the store for boneless/skinless chicken breasts anyway, so I picked-up some whole wheat flour for this.

Bought three chicken breasts, which weighed about 8 oz - 9 oz each, so I cut them in half. Pat them dry with paper towel. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Get out two bigger bowls. In one break a couple of eggs, separating and using only one yolk but both whites. Whip or whisk the eggs. In the second bowl put 1/3 C grated or shredded lowfat Parm cheese (the real stuff - not the sawdust from the green can), 1/4 C whole wheat flour, 1/4 C whatever great breading base / flour you like (I used Kelloggs Corn Flake crumbs and some flax meal combined but you could use corn meal, any other stuff you like). Add to that 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/8 tsp ground pepper, a couple shakes of Mrs. Dash or whatever your family likes (I was thinking some curry powder might rock this too!). Stir all the dry ingredients together. Spray a baking pan, big enough for the chicken pieces to be laid flat without touching, with Pam or olive oil Pam. Coat each chicken piece in the egg, then roll in the flour/cheese mix, and place in the baking pan. When all were in the pan I used a spoon to sprinkle some of the leftover breading onto the chicken pieces where my fingers wiped it off. Spray the top of the chicken in the baking pan with the Pam too, to enable it to crisp up. Put it in the oven for 50 - 60 minutes, until the breading is nicely brown.

Seriously - the assembly of this only took 5 - 8 minutes. Fast-fast-fast. BTW there is no salt in the breading, as the Parm cheese is already salty.

Right after that I threw a cup of brown Jasmine rice into a pot with two cups of water and put it on to boil, then reduced to low for about 40 minutes. I shut it off and waited for the chicken to get done. After 40 minutes I peaked at the chicken. Mine had given off some water (previously frozen at store) so I tilted the pan and used a turkey bulb baster to remove it so the bottom wouldn't be soggy. Again - maybe a minute of effort there. I tossed some broccoli on to boil. The chicken is lightly coated with crispy goodness when done but very moist. The parm cheese kind of melts to the flour mix and gives the crunch while keeping the moisture in I guess. I gave both my son and myself two of the pieces. Each piece of chicken I calculated at a point an ounce for the chicken and a bit less than a point per piece for the breading and egg mix, so my 4 - 4.5 ounce pieces were 5 points each. Super easy and real tasty.

Jim
    Last edited by JimL3222; 04-26-2016 at 12:05 PM.