Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Come Here For Inspirational Quotes

Replies

Default "If it's meant to be....its up to me!"

I work with a very well known leader. She gets right into your soul in her meetings. I always leave her meetings with a quote I can use for the entire week. I'll post some of them here.

Please feel free to post some of your own.

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

Replies

Default Re: Come Here For Inspirational Quotes

"The more you put off....the more you put on."

Replies

"We are as fat as we are dishonest"

Replies

"Everyone faces defeat. It may be a stepping-stone, or a stumbling block - depending on the mental attitude with which it is faced."

Good thread - stickied to see how it does.

Replies

Ooh. Thanks.

She was warned.

Replies

"You'll never get enough of what you don't really want or need. "

I think about this a lot of times when I am driving past take-out Chinese food. What I want and what I can have are so very different I don't bother to go there at all.

Replies

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.

John Bingham aka The Penguin, Runner's World Magazine.

This has always really hit home for me in so many aspects of my life.
    Ann
    SW: 158.6 Dec. 10, 2010
    Goal weight: 137

Current weight 128.2 July 18, 2014🐾🐾🐾

Replies

I like that Ann. Starting is the hard part.

She was warned.

Replies

"The body achieves, what the mind believes."

I think is a quote derived from Napoleon Hill. I'm a big fan of his quotes - not sure why, they always jump out to me.

Replies

I think we can take any few words put together artfully and use them to our benefit. I'm finding this quite helpful.

Replies

Default Re: "If it's meant to be....its up to me!"

Love this thread - thanks, Peg! I really like Napoleon Hill's sayings, too.

Here are some of my recent favorites:

"When you are famished... your powers of resistance become as stable as a soap bubble."
    from Rachel Beller's book "Eat to Lose, Eat to Win" (nutritionist and consultant to Biggest Losers).
    Not exactly inspirational, but I think we all can use a laugh occasionally.

She talks about planning a mid-afternoon snack (and why) and refers to it as the PM snack (positively mandatory)." I love how she turns a phrase in a way to help you remember things. Such as her advice:

"Tame your inner "Bread-ator" with a 150-175 calorie snack." [re portion control, a big weakness of mine].

Speaking of personal weaknesses (red light foods, attitude, or whatever), here's a really old one of my favorites as it hits the nail on the head for me - like beating your head against a wall...

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."
    Susan

�The best thing you can do is the right thing; the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing; the worst thing you can do is nothing.� -Teddy Roosevelt

Replies

Here's another reminder (especially appropriate for those battling with maintenance):

"You have, you can, and you will."

from one of our BCB buddies, Judee.
    Susan

�The best thing you can do is the right thing; the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing; the worst thing you can do is nothing.� -Teddy Roosevelt

Replies

For stress eaters like me (like your quote about food never being enough, Peg):

"Anytime something awful or horrible or stressful happens... "

[literally every day in some way - doesn't have to be as huge as a car accident - could be related to finances or taxes, misplacing or not being able to find something (grrr!), or some of the stress that can come from family - or with any large gathering of people - whatever or whoever "gets" to you ... these are my comments in brackets, FYI]

"TAKE 5 deep breaths - and then ask yourself the 5 questions...

Will this matter in 5 hours?
    Will this matter in 5 days?
    Will this matter in 5 weeks?
    Will this matter in 5 months?
    Will this matter in 5 years?

You'd be surprised at how things that seem earth shattering at the time, don't even pass the 5 week test.

It puts things in perspective."

(from a book I read recently but I didn't write down the source at the time and now I can't remember who to give credit to. I suspect this one has been around for a long time, though).

I love this but keep forgetting it. I have a big puppy paw magnet on my fridge. I think I'm going to paste a big 5 on top of it to remind me...

Susan
    Susan

Replies

ON THINKING TWICE (sorry, on a roll here... don't mean to be a thread hog):
    Ask yourself often - "Are your actions in line with your stated goals and objectives?"

Peg - your comment about driving by Chinese takeout --- reminded me of this comment about DONUTS.
    (I think from a WW leader, but it was a long time ago so I don't recall the exact source). The gist of it was

"Would you flush a donut down your toilet?"
    If not, then "Why choose to plug your own plumbing/arteries?"
    Susan

Replies

Peg, I just read your link to the SECRETS of the 5% on Spark People on your "What One Thing" thread.

I thought it might be helpful to post here for inspiration (also since the link might fail in the future).

Mike Kramer's key strategies and tactics of folks who succeed (the numbering got messed up when I copied but you get the gist)..

The 5%…

1. …Make It Public. The 5% generally don’t keep their weight loss efforts to themselves. They recruit supporters. They ask for help. They swap war stories with friends. They give and take encouragement. Often a goal buddy is involved, or at least a positive, supportive friend who holds the dieter accountable. Studies show that just by writing down or announcing your goals, you automatically increase your chances of success. Keeping a Community Journal or blog is a non-threatening, productive way to make your goals public.
    2. …Pay Attention. A permanent, healthy lifestyle is created on purpose. Planning, tracking, reading menus, asking questions, following progress reports—they’re all part of the 5% strategy of knowing what’s going on and preventing setbacks. This crowd doesn’t believe in fooling themselves or relying on chance to make things happen. Usually (if not always) aware of the foods they eat, and on the lookout for opportunities to stay active, they know that good health is no accident. Nutrition Trackers and Fitness Planners play key roles in this strategy.
    3. …Enjoy Themselves. There’s a reason that a healthy lifestyle sticks around for this small minority. They make weight loss a positive experience and have fun with it. Because they feel good about their goals and their new habits, they also feel good about themselves and what they’ve accomplished. Programs based on negative messages, dread, resignation, or criticism are doomed to disappear. Optimists are proven to reach more goals than pessimists. They also live healthier, longer lives.
    4. …Make Gradual Changes. The 5% know that permanent change is a process, not a 21-day event. Able to see what waits on the horizon, they spend time building a few small habits at a time, rather than diving into a program that’s totally incompatible with their current lifestyle. Too much too soon is like moving to a new country and expecting to adopt the new culture and language in a week. It works much better if you simply stick around and pick up a few bits and pieces at a time.
    5. …Allow Themselves To Fail. It’s a guaranteed certainty. Every one of the 5% has failed at some point along their weight loss journey. The difference is that they learned to forgive setbacks and refused to beat themselves up. Every failure is simply one step closer to ultimate success. With this outlook, and using lessons learned along the way, they kept these setbacks from turning into full-fledged disasters.
    6. Not so mysterious, now that you know their secrets, huh? A permanent, healthy lifestyle may be closer than you think!
    Susan

Replies

From Icinglady1 on another thread:
    I CHOOSE:

to live by choice - not chance,
    to make changes - not excuses,
    to be motivated - not manipulated,
    to be useful - not used,
    to excel - not compete,
    self-esteem - not self-pity,
    to listen to the inner voice - not the random opinion of others.
    Susan

Replies

Great idea to set up ONE THREAD for all these pearls of wisdom, Peg.
    It feels like I'm in a meeting.... LOVE it.
    I'm moving a few I found elsewhere to this thread...

From Peg on another thread:
    "My body keeps an accurate record of what I've eaten even if I don't."
    Susan

Replies

Peg, your post "We are as fat as we are dishonest" really hits home for me.

I've always considered myself an honest person.
    Makes me question how honest I am with MYSELF.
    Challenges my integrity.
    That's something I honor, so that's a good thing to have slapped in my face.
    Susan

Replies

Thanks SUSAN I meant to post the text of the 5%.

"Maintainers self-care every day"

"We eat what's eating us"

"We put off and put on"

Just take one quote and use it all day or all week. I find it extremely useful.

She was warned.

Replies

Focus on just one for a week -good advice-worked for Ben Franklin and it obviously works for you.
    Needed that reminder. Thanks.
    Susan

Replies

Did you ever read Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird". In the opening she talks about her little brother needing to write a report in the birds of the 50 states. Her father said "Well son, just take it bird by bird." I try to live by that. Meal by meal, pound by pound, point by point. Break it down into manageable spaces.

Today in my meeting I told them the quote "We are as fat as we are dishonest". I couldn't say fat. I said large. Felt right. Everyone was touched by how powerful that statement was.

She was warned.

Replies

Never let success get to your head.

Never let failure get to your heart.

She was warned.

Replies

image.jpg
    Smart huh?

She was warned.

Replies

You don't need to memorize quotes. Just put one on your phone and use it for a week. Move on to the next one. Amazingly it makes a difference.

Replies

"If you want to run fast, run alone. If you want to run far, run together."

From a dear friend.

She was warned.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast