Thread: New WW Smart Phone App (Beyond the Scale/Smart Points)

Default New WW Smart Phone App (Beyond the Scale/Smart Points)

I have a pretty decent and new smart phone - Samsung Galaxy S5. I got it like 5 months ago. I have no music, movies or games on it. (I'm not that type of guy.) Basically, I use it for phone calls, texting, email, internet access and taking some pictures. I have very few apps on it. (I have actually deleted some apps on it.)

I went back to WW this week. (Long story.) And, I loaded the WW app on my phone. Ever since then, I have issues getting email. My device keeps telling me that there's no storage left and it will not update my email. The only way to get email is to go in to my files and delete whatever I can find - and then my email will update. But, it keeps happening - and I have run out of things to delete on my phone.

It can't be a coincidence that this started only after I loaded the WW app. Is the thing that big that it takes up so much storage on my phone? Anyone else having an issue like this?

Replies

Default Re: New WW Smart Phone App (Beyond the Scale/Smart Points)

Can't help you, but I'm glad to hear you're back at WW.
    I dropped my online membership a few months ago. I have to say, my experience has been that their IT dept. isn't very good overall....
    Trudie
    HW: 190.4/SW: 180.2 5/23/07
    CW: phat PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Replies

Their IT department is useless. I am glad to see you back too, Super. Maybe if you uninstall the WW app and reinstall it? I can't see where it would take up that much space.
    Ann
    SW: 158.6 Dec. 10, 2010
    Goal weight: 137

Current weight 128.2 July 18, 2014🐾🐾🐾

Replies

IT dept is not useless. Just overwhelmed. patience. Patience.

From what I hear the app is pretty big. Not compatible with an I phone 4. I can find details.

you need to be running Android OS 4.0.3.

you need to update from MARSHMALLOW to JELLYBEAN Skip LOLLIPOP

These are things I've seen online WW staff site. Give it a try. I hope it helps.

The app will get better and better. I'd suggest give it a chance to be fully released and debugged. It's not happening all at once.

How Bout tracking on on paper for a while. You're not lost. There are books with all of the points counts. You've done this before. It can be done on paper temporarily.

Also call the WW 1-800 number. It's on the back of your weigh in book. Maybe they can help.

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

Thanks. I actually asked their IT help folks through the app for assistance tonight. Nada. They suggested seeing if a reinstall would be different. Not sure I want to do that? Just me being lazy. I have 4 days of tracking in there that I don't want to lose ;-)

Also, through the app, WW has a "connect" feature. Sort of like WW's own social media thing. It looks a lot like facebook. Anyway, I find the before and after pictures inspiring. (Aren't they always!) And, some have shared some tips and stuff. But, here's the funny part: When I signed on, it preset my "handle" as Member123456 (not the real numbers). And, on the profile edit feature, it only lets you add a photo - and there's nothing there for changing the name. So, I asked the help/IT folks "How do I change my name?" THEY SAID IT'S NOT POSSIBLE WITH THE APP. Yet, everyone else posting there has a personal, custom, hand-picked name/handle. I have not seen anyone else with Member987654 (whatever) as a handle. They all have stuff like "TaylorsMom" or "LoseItGood" (etc.) that they obviously picked. Twice I asked them and both times they said "There's no feature at this time where you can change your name." Huh?

Anyway, just to get you all up to speed on me

I was on WW from 6/21/06 to 1/11/14: 7 years and 7 months on the program – including being on Lifetime for 7 years (1/31/07-1/4/14).

I started slipping in the summer of 2013 (when we were on vacation) and then eventually blew my lifetime status at the start of 2014.

I went back on the program for 5 months (11/6/14 to 3/23/15). But, once the spring came, it was hard to keep up. (My 11-year old son plays a lot of baseball. I am the sometimes coach and always driver. So, if he's doing baseball 5 to 6 days a week in the spring, then so am I. And, that means no times for meetings and eating a lot of fast food on the run.)

Well, THAT plus another pig-out vacation - combined with the "X" factor - just put me spinning out of control. (The "X" factor is that I have been working from home full time since the start of 2013 and that's been bad. Too close to the kitchen and too easy to mindless snack when I am stressed or bored.)

Five months ago, I had to bite the bullet and go out and buy new clothes since my clothes no longer fit me. Finally, last week, it hit the point where I was 25 pounds over my lifetime weight number and I hit rock bottom. And, I went back to WW last week.

I had no idea that they were rolling out the new plan. (It must have been fate that I went back on the week that they were telling members about it for the first time in full.) I have to admit, I am into what Beyond The Scale and Smart Points is selling. It all makes sense.

I think I am over the shame of blowing my lifetime status after being on it for SEVEN YEARS IN A ROW. Why did I go wrong? Maybe it was the 7 year itch...I dunno? But, what I do know is that I am determined, more so than ever before, to get these 25 pounds off my body. That's Step One. And, I will worry about Step Two (as in keeping it off) once I get there. It's not the math and mechanics that I don't understand. More so, it's about understanding what made me get derailed - when the train was on the tracks...like FOREVER - and preventing that from happening again.

I guess it could be worse. It's 25 pounds and not 60 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy541 View Post
    IT dept is not useless. Just overwhelmed. patience. Patience.

From what I hear the app is pretty big. Not compatible with an I phone 4. I can find details.

you need to be running Android OS 4.0.3.
    Thanks. Actually, I am on 5.0 now.

The app runs on my phone. That's not the issue. It's just that since I installed it, now my email says it will not update because there's no storage capacity left on my phone. And, that's weird, since I have almost no other apps on the phone. And, there's no games, movies or music on my phone at all. (My kids phones...that's a different story! LOL)

Replies

A lot of us have been there, Super. I hit Lifetime in 2003 and was good for a couple years. Then I started slipping. I just figured I'd wait to go back till I lost that 8 pounds. Of course, the 8 pounds became 30 pounds before I bit the bullet and came back in Dec. 0f 2010.

You've done it before, you can do it this time.
    Ann
    SW: 158.6 Dec. 10, 2010
    Goal weight: 137

Current weight 128.2 July 18, 2014🐾🐾🐾

Thanks Ann. I have no doubt, if I stay OP, that I will lose the weight. There is no question in my mind, whatsoever, that the WW program works if you stay OP. It's a math equation that has been proven to be true. The true challenge is staying OP - because once you are not, the weight will come back. There's no such thing as "done" with WW. You're either on it, or you're fat.

Replies

Hey Super! I was over at your blog a few weeks ago, and wondering if you would ever come back. Glad to see you post with us again!
    It's really good having you here, I hope you stick around. I agree with everyone, if you're determined to lose some pounds again - you've got this.

I can't resist some good technical troubleshooting, so thought I'd pop in to help!

I have not tried the WW App, but I've had the same problem on some of my Android devices with other Apps. Basically Android has a few different storage spaces(think of them as separate boxes) the apps use that can get full, even if your phone is showing tons of 'free space'.

It's not so much the App that is the problem(it's large, yes) it's mostly Androids un-optimized partitioning of cache and data files, and a poor UI that makes it difficult to organize and clear. If you're like me, you probably tried to save a few bucks when you bought the phone also - getting a model with less internal storage.

There are solutions, it just depends on how technically savvy you are. (root phone, move / delete things, problem solved.)
    A simpler, safer solution - other than not using the app at all(often my choice) You could try getting an SD card to expand your storage. Most apps wont actually use the SD for the data files and cache though, so you'll need an another App for that too! Something like this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....gphone.app2sd - which might be successful at clearing enough space, even without the SD upgrade. It could be just your email cache full.

As for the other issues specific to the WW App - I'd just give it time. I'm sure they have all hands on deck, working on things by priority. New releases are always a 'fun' ride from a development point.

I might just have to go take a look at their app now myself...

Good luck! Hopefully keep seeing you around
    Let me know if there's anything with the forums I can do for ya.

Thanks! I actually have a SD card in there now. It's got the programs for Facebook, Instagram and SnapChat on there. (Thank my kids for making me get the last two! I need that to check on what they are doing online. Can't let an 11 and 13 year old running free out there!) It's interesting that the WW app, which I downloaded same as the others, is not on the card? It shows up as downloaded and running in the App Mgr. But, unlike the others that I downloaded when I got the phone, it's not on the SD card.

Should I get the AppMgr III (App 2 SD) App to move the WW app to the SD card?

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Super Bowl XLI View Post
    Should I get the AppMgr III (App 2 SD) App to move the WW app to the SD card?
    I think it's worth a shot.
    Make sure to have it clear your cache too - using the folder icon with a trash can by it, at the top bar in AppMgr III.

Thanks - much appreciated!

Replies

No problem at all!

Since they launched the new smartpoints and the app. There have been lots of problems. I find it's helpful to use the 24/7 chat feature. At least you can make them aware of the issues. I feel sure that they will eventually get everything straight with the online website/app issues.
    Good luck and hang in there!

Thanks. I did contact them. One thing that maybe my feedback helped with was the user name issue. Mine was fixed by them, behind the scenes, after I texted with them.

Replies

As an IT guy I tried to figure out both the issues with the online program as well as the version I loaded onto my Android Smartphone. Take a look at the ratings - here the best weight loss program's "program" only earns a 2.5 - 3.0 out of 5? Really? I know that they hired a CIO from AutoTrader.com a few years back, and that they are trying, have been trying, to work the kinks out since that time. I am afraid it is too little, too late. I too tried getting assistance, and felt I was talking to less than qualified tech support. I removed it from my PC and my phone. I am now running Ultimate Food Value Diary Plus. It costs a whopping $4, works remarkably well. I think WW should just buy them and stop trying to fix its buggy programs. It has a tracker, a huge database, and even a product scanner for point value by serving. You want to give it a try. (We won't tell your WW leader.)

I have random issues with my Galaxy exactly like this from time to time. I actually think my phone is crazy!! For 2 days it will give me that message then suddenly the next day I will have 23 e mail that have downloaded and I've done nothing different. I do find from time to time I have to restart the phone for it to act right. Mine didn't start this after the download of the WW app so I'm thinking yours may not have to do with the app but it is something in the phone.... I hope the problem gets resolved for you because I know it is very irritating and frustrating! :-(
    Elaine<br /><br />SW 289<br />CW 191<br />WWGW 164<br />Personal GW 155<br /><br />"Whether you think you can or you think you can't....you're right!!"