Thread: Neuroscience of Habits

1. Default Neuroscience of Habits

I have read a couple of books lately on the neuroscience of habits. Roughly, it talks about the conscious, deciding brain and the automatic, how I've always done it brain - the one that drive a lot of my eating. Rewire by O'Connor is my current book, I'm listening to it on audible. I've worked my way through The Power of Habit by Duhigg, too. I have become more aware of how I have both neurocircuits working in my brain, if you will - the conscious and the unconscious. I can eat the right things, in the right amounts and do enough movement to make a difference. I have done that for longs blocks of time, actually. I know how, the challenge is doing what I know how to do. I get derailed (it feels so automatic, so natural to fall off the plan) and it is often incredibly hard to recapture the "in control" me. Somehow this idea of the habits and the ability for the brain to rewire is incredibly hopeful. I think the most important thing I need to do is to learn to "get back on the horse" without heavy self-criticism, to get back on the horse again and again without embarrassment, to get back on the horse repeatedly until it too becomes a habit.

Is anyone else working with this concept of habits? I'd love to hear both your understanding of this concept and they way you put it into action.

Senior Paddler

2. Default Re: Neuroscience of Habits

So, I continue to read Rewire and it is a bit more psychodynamic than is my preference, however one thing stuck -- a piece of research that found that if one practiced more self control in one part of ones life -- like setting up and following a routine about cleaning and decluttering, then improvement was found in other areas of self-control, such as managing food choices or exercising regularly. I guess it makes sense that I find myself working on several habit streams simultaneously.