Thread: How do you know when to push yourself a little more?

Default How do you know when to push yourself a little more?

Hi Buddies. I see there hasn't been a new thread here in a while so I thought I would start one.

I'm exercising on my own. Right now I am walking 30 minutes a day for a minimum of 4 days a week but for the past couple of weeks I have done 6 days. My DH and I usually walk on country park trails so there are some ups and downs and uneven ground but nothing major. I'm thinking to start doing 45 minutes starting next week on at least 4 of the days.

But how do I know that I am pushing myself enough? I was thinking to add some strength training in too but not sure how to start. I'm 60 years old so I know enough to be careful as I don't want to kill myself but on the other hand I want to push myself enough that I actually accomplish getting fitter. I tend to be lazy so I am more worried that I won't do enough rather than that I will overdo.

Any advice?
    Marianne

Replies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How do you know when to push yourself a little more?

I'm careful about pushing myself too because I'm worried about injuries. I'd rather be careful and be able to exercise, rather than hurt myself and not be able to do anything.

I'm no expert, but some of the things I do are...
    1. Vary the speed. Faster a few minutes, then normal speed. Or fast one day, normal speed the next.
    2. Vary the workouts. New walking routes with hills or uneven surfaces like sand, gravel, or grass.
    3. Longer walking times a few times a week
    4. New workouts. Keeps away the boredom. There are lots of videos on YouTube to try at home, or videos to borrow from the library.
    5. Yoga. It not only good for streatching, its good for building strenth using your own body weight.

Thanks. This is helpful. I was also thinking to try some yoga as I could really use more flexibility. I'll have to look around for a class in my area. I'm sure there are some.
    Marianne

Replies
    Blog Entries

Also, check out www.silversneakers.com to find fitness centers that offer classes in your area (just plug in your zip code). There are fitness classes and social events for older adults at many chain and independent gyms across the country.

5. Default Re: How do you know when to push yourself a little more?

Just take it slow, if you do thirty minutes now, maybe just add 7 for now, and do that for a week or two, and just keep graduating up. Be careful, and take it slow.

Replies

I just turned 61 and just finished my 22nd marathon the end of May. If you are finding those walks feeling too easy, try increasing the pace and or distance on one of them a week. Don't do an increase in pace or distance during the same walk though. Listen to your body. It sounds like you have been doing this long enough to know how your body reacts. Increasing is never comfortable, but it should not be painful. Don't be afraid to take rest days or just do something different that works different muscles. I have recently gotten a really nice bike and have been alternating doing long distance bike rides with the running. It takes some of the pounding away from my workouts and it still gives me good cardio.

Check out www.sparkpeople.com They have some good strength training workouts for beginners. I think they even have a youtube channel. They are free for most of their stuff.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
    Ann
    SW: 158.6 Dec. 10, 2010
    Goal weight: 137

Current weight 128.2 July 18, 2014🐾🐾🐾