Thread: Privacy and Forum Access Changes - Important

Replies

Default Privacy and Forum Access Changes - Important

We are making some important changes to the forums set of user permissions.

A while back, we closed the doors for 'public' access to the forums. Meaning, a person would have to register before being able to read or post, and search engines would not index any forum posts. This was done as a security step to protect the private life discussions of our members. We will be maintaining this policy and adapting it in ways to further enhance the privacy of our users.

The down side of this, is that it makes it harder for new members to find us and/or gather useful information without jumping through a series of hoops. We'll also be making policy adjustments to leverage this.

Here of some of the important changes taking place.

Some Forums Will Be Opened to Public. Readable by all, and indexed in searched engines.
    These will be our non-private forums like the recipes area, general questions and answers, etc.
    Some of our ranking members will soon also receive permission to promote specific posts to the public 'News' section.

Changes to member hierarchical permission sets.

For New Recruits
    We'll be setting up areas for new recruits(and other members) to engage in forum activities and posting.They will be limited to these areas(Basic Training, public groups) until a certain amount of posting activity/relation building has been surpassed and they achieve the required 'rank' to access the additional member forums (Training Groups,) We encourage those with higher permissions to intermingle with all forum groups, greet new members, and assist with their questions and concerns.
    For Established Members
    We'll be further limiting access to discussions in selected 'Training Groups' to members only who have established themselves as regular users of the forum. Users will not be able to read or post in these groups until a predetermined 'rank'(obtained through posting) has been achieved, or permission has been granted by a moderator.
    For Inactive Members
    Lurking the members areas will now result in a temporary ban. If you are not not engaging in forum activity on BCB, and your account is currently 'Inactive' - you will no longer be able to view any of the private members forums. You will be required to post in a specific forum(Introductions) to re-establish activity. Access to 'public' areas of the forum will still be allowed.

These changes will take effect throughout the upcoming weeks as we make changes to the forum structure.

If you encounter any problems with your account, or are unable to locate/access part of the forums. Please contact us right away.

Replies

Default Re: Privacy and Forum Access Changes - Important

I know it sounds like a lot, but it really isn't.

The path from New Recruit, to Established Member - is not a long one.
    (Make a handful of legit posts, and set up a profile)

Inactive Members, are those who have join the forums, but have never posted more than an introduction.
    Eventually this may extend to those who are not actively posting.

It is basically a weeding process to filter the robots, the scrapers, the spammers, and others who just want to abuse the information on the forums. In addition to keeping things 'user-friendly' for well-intentioned visitors.

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by BCB Admin View Post
    Some Forums Will Be Opened to Public. Readable by all, and indexed in searched engines.
    These will be our non-private forums like the recipes area, general questions and answers, etc.
    We've reversed this action for now, due to a negative effect on search visibility. I thought it would help, but instead - it hurt.
    All threads are private again, with the lounge and buddy groups having the extra sets of privacy rules outlined above.
    I'll continue to work on the 'News' section where high quality content may be posted publicly.

wow, glad I read this. I am mostly a lurker.......... guess I better get to posting
    Positive thinking gets positive results!!!!!!!

Dottie HW: 210.4 SW:203.6 WWG:
    141 CW: 108.5 (5-1-14)

Made lifetime in 2003 and have maintained.

Replies

No worries! A couple of posts a year should keep accounts active. No need to post everyday

where did all the recipes go? I can't find any of the simply fillings(Core) recipes anywhere now...bummer! Hopefully I'm just not looking in the right place and they aren't deleted.

Thanks!
    Kelli
    Kelli from MN

"change happens one day at a time"

Replies

Sorry, all of the recipes are temporarily unavailable. They have not been deleted - just set on the back burner for now.

I have several recipes bookmarked that I have used for years. Now I only get "Oops, page cannot be found." Is there anyway around this?
    Kitty

Replies

Please let me know an example of a non-working bookmark. I may be able to setup a redirect.

For those looking for the recipes section, I think you may temporarily access it at http://www.healthdiscovery.net/bootc...ealthy-Recipes

We are planning on a big move, after which all of our sections may become available again. I'll post more about that later.

Hopefully it will become easier to chat with others and join some common groups. A little frustrating

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by cactusflower View Post
    Hopefully it will become easier to chat with others and join some common groups. A little frustrating
    Possibly.

I do understand the basic training section is very slow going. We aren't getting a lot of new members right now, so it feels like your talking to yourself.

Just hang in there, and keep posting. The buddy groups post together on a daily basis and have many more active members.