Thread: Update to Forum Rules

Replies

Default Update to Forum Rules

Boot Camp Buddies has long since been exclusively a Weight Watchers only forum.

Due to recent changes that we've made, and other factors - our visibility in search results for 'weight watchers' has been greatly affected. We're hoping to get it pumped back up again sometime in the future, but it will take time.

None the less - Even when we were ranking high, forum activity was low.

I think being more inclusive to everybody looking to get healthy, would greatly increase forum activity.
    New sections would be added, much like the new sections on the Health Discovery website.

To accomplish that, we would have do away with the BCB Philosophy Statement... *gasp*
    Well, maybe not completely.

It's still great for those who are following Weight Watchers, which is most everyone here. It would be included and still required for weight watchers groups, and possibly altered to fit other groups.

The Boot Camp Buddies mentality would also still resound forum-wide.

The idea might flop, and no one will post in the new sections - or it might be just what BCB needs.
    There's really only one way to tell, and that's to try it out.

So starting sometime this millennium, we're going to be working on this.

As always, forum feedback is appreciated. Have ideas for new sections? Don't like the idea at all?
    Please voice your questions, comments, or concerns.

Replies

Default Re: Treason!!!

I love the idea. Forum activity has often suffered from myopic focus over the years. I can't tell you how many great buddies we've lost because they no longer felt welcome posting here if they switched to another program. I, myself, was asked to leave a group here when I "outed" myself as following a different WOE, even though I was losing weight that way & struggling so much with WW. Lately, I just adopt a "don't ask, don't tell" approach. I'm not counting points but I am committed to healthy eating & establishing a good exercise rhythm to support that.

If the goal here is to do what it takes to make weight loss a reality, then we need to either be supportive of everyone who comes here with that goal or we continue to dwindle in numbers to the point where only the most entrenched threads survive. Many of which only survive because the people in each group have made a connection that transcends (and in some cases doesn't even include a main focus on) weight loss. If we want the activity & membership here to increase, we have to be more inclusive. There is more than one way to maintain a healthy lifestyle and I would love to see more BCBers return so they can share their successes and struggles with whatever program they are currently following.
    Kimberley

Replies

Good! I am glad I have support on the idea from a veteran moderator. I know that in the past, the BCB philosophy held a great deal of importance for the forums. It was essentially the first law written, and the foundation of BCB. I wasn't sure how those who were around from the start would take to the idea... so, thank you.

Replies

When I found this forum back in 2001, I had come back to WWers as a very overweight Lifetime member. At that time the tough discipline of the board was exactly what I needed. I believe I stayed on track as I was afraid to report out that I'd slipped, lol. It was pretty intense here back then. Over the years I know my own needs have changed and I've settled in with a very nice group of women. I guess what I'm trying to say is that my own evolvement might be similar to what is happening to the boards in general. I support changes you make in order to keep the boards vital.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

Replies
    Blog Entries

I think its a good idea. I myself have been following WW about 50% of the time I've been here- currently I am doing low-carb and not counting points or calories or anything else. I know I'm not the only one who changes their course of action here and there. Gotta find what works!
    Deb ~ Every day has potential to be a success! ~
    My Weight Loss Blog | Food Diary | My Work | My Sewing Blog
    Mini-goal #15 - Lose 60 pounds

Down 56.3 lbs, 3.7 lbs to go

Supporting other ppl in what is everyones goal fitness, good health, weight loss is the right thing to do. Jace you don't know unless its tried right? I don't think alot of ppl would be upset. I appreciate new ideas and healthy options. I also appreciate you asking for input.
    Tracking is my new normal
    goal reached 1999 and 2011 and 20??

Replies

Luanne,
    I have skimmed through a lot of the post from that time. The forum(and internet) was definitely a different animal back then. I believe the core-value of the support system that was built here still exists, and people are still looking for that. Though it's doubtful to ever see another 'Golden Days' on the forum, evolving will keep the BCB legacy alive.

@inkdork
    >:O Breaking the rules!
    "Bootcamp Buddies follow the Weight Watchers program and Weight Watchers ONLY. They don't combine Weight Watchers with any other programs or "diet"
    tisk tisk.

It was Dr. ML King who said "It is ones moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws".

Thank you both for your feedback and support.

Replies

Sorry Cheryl, Your post didn't show up until after I posted I guess. Thanks too!

Just want to make sure the current users are OK with it. If you all scatter off, and then we don't get new users - these forums will be obsolete.

9. Default Re: Treason!!!

I think its a great idea. I myself have been following about 50% of the time I've been here- currently, I am doing low-carb and not counting points or calories or anything else. I know I'm not the only one who changes their course of action here and there. Thank you very much.