Thread: BCB Public News?

Replies

Default BCB Public News?

The last time I posted about future site development I mentioned things like updating the forum software, updates to user ranks, linking join requests with a spam database, enabling the content management system and so forth. Well, I'm proud to say that most of that has been accomplished!

I'd like to discuss what upcoming changes we now have planned since we're moving forward with upgrades.

As you know, we made the forums private and restricted reading of threads to logged in members. Then set-up the CMS(resources) to use for posting thread contents into the public area of the site.

I've run into a couple of problems with this setup.
    The first problem being the built in CMS for the forums. It's good, but not great for advanced use. I wouldn't host the entire Health Discovery site on it.
    The second problem being the size of the BCB forums. It is, and would continue to be a HUGE task for me to continually promote articles that I think are good. I honestly don't come on here and read much so it'd be extra hard to even spot any recent information.

Additionally, un-forum related - The entire Health Discovery site could use a complete overhaul. I have tinkered and tweaked the outdated HTML code as much as I can. It just needs to be re-done on a more modern platform.

What that means for BCB and HealthDiscovery...

I plan to update Health Discovery to run on a Drupal CMS platform. This will probably take a while but it is already in the works.
    The forums will remain the same - We'll be keeping the Vbulletin Platform.

That leaves me with, "What to do with the Vbulletin Forum CMS?"

I think it would be best if I give it to you all. Since you've essentially been restricted to only posting publicly in the blogs. I think it'll be great if "most-everyone" on the forums has the ability to promote articles to the main site if they wish. It's also 100 times more efficient to have the users who are already crawling the forum threads promote an article they like or have written.

Would this even be something any of you are interested in?

Replies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Upcoming Changes!

Jason, I am not great at expressing my thoughts, so I am sure I would never want to promote a post of mine. There are times that I just browse several threads, and by chance find something that really inspires me. Would it become too cumberson to have so many people with the ability to post to the main page? The general area of users could, perhaps, send off a post to an administrator when we come to some comments that are really motivational.
    Esther
    Goal 160
    SW 178
    Just do what you know to do!

Replies

I think if the categories are well organized it will not be too cumbersome. Plus, I am sure most users probably wont participate in promoting articles and I will also do some behind the scenes organizing of the articles that do get promoted. If it is done correctly I think it will be a great way to promote the forum and forum news. Only one way to find out!

That is a great idea, to be able to send off or suggest posts without actually having to format the article. It would make it easier for any users who are not so tech savvy, as there are a few fields to fill out when promoting an article that I'm sure most users wouldn't know where to start. I will have to look into that.

FWIW, IMHO, there's some risk when you turn editorial control over to the masses. But, it's not my site.

I would recommend, if you do it, some form of moderation - or else you have the potential of someone posting an article that is offensive and/or not factual and having it on the site until an admin could address it.

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Super Bowl XLI View Post
    FWIW, IMHO, there's some risk when you turn editorial control over to the masses. But, it's not my site.

I would recommend, if you do it, some form of moderation - or else you have the potential of someone posting an article that is offensive and/or not factual and having it on the site until an admin could address it.
    Very true. It definitely would not be an un-moderated system, and will most likely be restricted to only higher ranking members. i.e. sergeant+, that way it is only established forum members that are able to promote articles. I would like to think that the members that have been around long enough and posted enough to reach sergeant, have earned enough "e-trust" on this site to be allowed this functionality. There's always concerns with "hacked" accounts but so far we haven't had any issue on the forums with anything like that.

I hope it works out.

Just beware. Years ago - many years ago - I was in another forum (for sports) and "met" someone there. He seemed just like me - same age, family status, non-sports interests, sense of humor, taste in music, books and movies, etc. We got along great. For a very long period of time, we had a nice relationship "on-line." Then, after all that time, without bumps, he snapped because I went a day or two without answering one of his emails (outside the forum). Total looney bin material.

You never know with the internet - even when you think you know.

Replies

I'm still pondering the idea of this.
    I would really like for our users to be able to create and share content on our site. I think it will expand the community beyond the forums.

I'm not really impressed with the built in content management system that our forum software has. Until I can manage to make it work how I'd like, or find another platform that will - This too will be on hold.