View Poll Results: Make Buddy Groups Private?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes Please

14 87.50%
  • No Thank You

2 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make Buddy Groups Private? (closed)

Replies

Default Make Buddy Groups Private? (closed)

Hey everyone! Hope you all like the changes to the forum so far. I have been hashing through a lot of ideas in my head and came across one I thought would be good, but will greatly effect the way the forum currently functions.

Here's the background on my thought:

Our forum has a neat feature that we never use called a content management system (CMS). Basically I can set it up to organize things like recipes, articles, tips, and etc. Each with individual sub categories. Then, chosen posts throughout the forums can be "promoted" to the CMS. Kind of like a sticky thread, but easier to navigate than the forums can be sometimes.

With that in mind, I was thinking about possibly locking the forum thread contents from guest viewers, and making posts private (i.e. members only). The posts that BCB chooses to promote to CMS articles will be public and not require signing into the forums to read. I feel this will benefit our members by adding additional privacy to the forums, and benefit our guests not interested in signing up by still providing the best forum content for general knowledge and information.

I'd like to know how the majority of the members here feel about making the forums private?

Default Re: Attention BCB Members! Please Vote

Jace, is it similiar to the training manual?

BTW, what happened to the "jump to" drop down box at the bottom of the page?
    Tracking is my new normal
    goal reached 1999 and 2011 and 20??

Replies

I think I like the idea.
    Bonnie

Total loss: 52 lbs incl 10 from 2008
    GW 137 August 2012

Replies

I like your idea. More privacy is always a good thing.

Replies

Privacy is good. Would google still be picking up what we say in searches? It does now. Do we get a choice whether a post goes to public view or only receipe threads go there?
    316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here
    currently- you don't want to know

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl39 View Post
    Jace, is it similiar to the training manual?
    Yep, pretty close.
    I've enabled a preview of the CMS for members(rank > Private)
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/content.php

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl39 View Post
    BTW, what happened to the "jump to" drop down box at the bottom of the page?
    Still there, just looks different and is a bit hidden(had to search for a while myself to find what you were referring to).
    On threads with multiple pages, you'll find a small arrow A fraction to the left of where it says "Page # of #" - Clicking it opens a jump to page drop-down.

Replies

Private=Good go for it.

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by reelriot View Post
    Privacy is good. Would google still be picking up what we say in searches? It does now. Do we get a choice whether a post goes to public view or only receipe threads go there?
    Google and other search engines would need login credentials to the forum to index the posts if it is set to private. So at first, no. I think it would still be good to do this as it will bring new users to the forum by getting publicity. Clicking the search results link would bring them to a registration page instead of the content.

Some posts will be automatically updated to public articles.
    When it is up and running smoothly - I will allow some of our well organized users the ability to promote articles to the CMS, and all of our members an area to submit requests.

You most likely won't be notified if a post is made public but you'll always have a choice to edit or remove your own content.
    Authoring information and comments can be shown or hidden on articles as well.

Will we have access to all the forums here as members?....I often read some of the other threads and have found great info. I think if I understand right, we should be able to do this, it would just be blocked for non members, right?, making it ours and not public.
    Norma......privacy is always good. I just wanted to make sure I understand this right.

Replies

Good question Norma - how limited will we be within the forum as members?
    Obviously with all the hacking and other things going on privacy and protection are lovely thoughts. On top of that we are often talking about very private (to us) matters, and it would be nice to have them more protected.
    I would definitely be interested - need to spend a little time looking at it too.
    Liz W

Replies
    Blog Entries

Like this idea. Nothing negative comes to mind after a quick review of this thread.
    Esther
    Goal 160
    SW 178
    Just do what you know to do!

Replies

I like the idea too.

What would people have to do if they wanted to join the forum though? Would they have to be approved and then gain privileges?
    Ann
    SW: 158.6 Dec. 10, 2010
    Goal weight: 137

Current weight 128.2 July 18, 2014🐾🐾🐾

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by JACOB'S NANA View Post
    Will we have access to all the forums here as members?....I often read some of the other threads and have found great info. I think if I understand right, we should be able to do this, it would just be blocked for non members, right?, making it ours and not public.
    Norma......privacy is always good. I just wanted to make sure I understand this right.
    The forum access will be exactly the same for logged in members. All threads will be open. There may be some restrictions for new members that haven't posted(still undecided). Non-members will be able to see the forum categories, and thread titles - but wont be able to open the threads and read anything posted within unless they sign-up.

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by JalepenoAnn View Post
    I like the idea too.

What would people have to do if they wanted to join the forum though? Would they have to be approved and then gain privileges?
    Exactly. It would require them to signup, wait for approval (which will eventually be automated so they don't have to wait), and then they would have access. I have been thinking about restricting new users to a few threads, so that they have to post a couple times to get to the rest of the threads. New users may not enjoy the extra loops, but I think anyone serious about being a part of the forum won't have much issue. Just a thought on ways to prevent data-miners and such.

This sounds good to me.
    233/226/140
    7/4/12 goal 228 MEET
    08/27/12 college starts back up 218

Replies

Jace, I think this is a very good idea in limiting new non-posting members. It will encourage those who are interested but undecided about posting to dive in with the rest of us, and will keep "just snoopers" from getting to know us without us knowing whem.
    Bonnie

Total loss: 52 lbs incl 10 from 2008
    GW 137 August 2012

FWIW, my two cents. I have never joined a forum where I could not see the posts first. Any time I have come across a forum where I had to register to be able to read the posts first, I have never registered. Would you buy a box without knowing what's in it first? That's my logic - but, it may just be me...

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Super Bowl XLI View Post
    FWIW, my two cents. I have never joined a forum where I could not see the posts first. Any time I have come across a forum where I had to register to be able to read the posts first, I have never registered. Would you buy a box without knowing what's in it first? That's my logic - but, it may just be me...
    I like your logic, I usually follow the same!

That's where the content management system comes in - At least in theory.

The really inspiring content from the forums will be promoted to the CMS. Although I'd like to make it clear to guests exactly what the forums are all about before they sign up - the CMS can include some new-user arm-twisting like "please register to comment on this article" or "sign up to read more on this in our forums". Maybe even a Q&A section to ask WW questions. Joining through the CMS joins them on the forum as well, they link together quite nicely. Comments on CMS articles post to the forum threads and visa-verse if enable to do so.

Replies

I like the private sections... I think you have thought about the above issue.

Replies

Post Re: Attention BCB Members! Please Vote

I think that sounds good to me too. It might stop people from just coming on looking for "free" WW. information too.

I like privacy - it's a good thing most of the time .

Ashlee
    Eat to feed your body, not to feed your emotions.

Jace thanks for the reply you're doll.
    Tracking is my new normal
    goal reached 1999 and 2011 and 20??

Replies
    Blog Entries

Sometimes I lurk in hiding until I get re-motivated, I don't feel like sharing because I'm not doing well mentally and emotionally.. and not up to posting and don't like my friends seeing me read without posting to them as I really do care about them, but I'm just not up to commenting to anyone. It take the pressure off ... though frankly I don't care one way or the other today.
    SW 330.0 lbs
    CW 10/24/2017 261.0
    (Total loss ​69 lbs)​
    Food was my anxiety drug.. before God became my EVERYTHING! He's my.. Helper, Comforter, Advocate, Intercessor, Counselor, Strengthener, and on Standby 24/7!!! John 14:16 (Amp)

Replies

my 2 cents

Is there any way you can "hide" our avatar for posts promoted to CMS?

I agree that privacy is preferred, but I also agree that I wouldn't join/register without being able to "see the contents of the box first."
    Susan

�The best thing you can do is the right thing; the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing; the worst thing you can do is nothing.� -Teddy Roosevelt

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by jefrado22 View Post
    Is there any way you can "hide" our avatar for posts promoted to CMS?
    Yep - Avatars will be hidden for guest viewers both on CMS and Forums... probably blogs too - but I think as is, users have the option to make their own blogs public or private.

Replies

i think its a great idea! I vote to go private!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast