Thread: Meetings or not?

1. Default Meetings or not?

Okay heres my story.about 7 years ago after the birth of my first born i followed a really old program of ww (on my own from old books) and lost 63 pounds fairly quickly..i didnt use any extra points or activity points (didnt know i could) i only had 21 points a day every day. I stuck with it, i was so determined. After my second child was born i got back on WW i had learned about the extra points and activity points then and used them. I got really close to my goal weight and just kind of stopped so for the past 4 years i have been on and off agian of ww. Last year when they went points plus i signed up online. Still it didnt really help however i dont want to give up. I quit work last year to stay at home with my kids. My husbands work has a gym that i can work out for free so i just signed up for that and plan to go at least twice a week and do some other exercises at home as well. When i lost weight the first time i had joined a gym and that really seemed to help....i think it was having to get out of the house to work out is what helped mostly... I have really thought about signing up for WW agian but going to meetings this time but since i dont work anymore and i dont have that extra income i feel guilty about spending the money. My husband is supportive but still i feel bad for spending the money on something i know i have done on my own before....i feel like if i just quit being lazy and get tough with myself i can do this like i did before...i need to lose about 30 pounds...i know if i lost 63 pounds on my own i can 30 but that thinking hasnt gotten me anywhere in the past 4 years. I am just burnt out on it i think but i know if i stop all together i will gain more and be misreable....so from your own experiances should i join anyway...even though i know the program, know how it works, know what i should be doing? Will it motivate me into sticking with it? I know ww works...its me being lazy in my eating and tracking....I did sit in on a meeting and it didnt really seem to be that motivating to me...the lady was sweet but i just didnt feel motivated really and like i would get anything out of it. i liked how i looked when i was about 25 pounds lighter and even though it will be on the high end for my height if i could just get back there i will be happy...25 pounds isnt really a lot to lose when you think about it but it seems like when i start trying to loose i start obsessing about what i eat and then i want to eat bad stuff when i usually dont eat so bad to begin with...but obviously i am eating too much/wrong foods or i wouldnt be 25 overweight. Like i said i know what to do to loose weight i just have to do it....but will the meetings help me be accountable?
    Hollie
    New Start weight 162.4
    Goal Weight 130

Replies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Meetings or not?

I find the meetings can be really cheesy, the lecturer easily led off topic, with people in the class promoting really bad behavior like binge eating or "diet mentality" (you can't eat pizza and lose weight kind of thing which is totally contradictory to WW). That said, they really do hold me accountable. There is just something about knowing that weighing in on Monday that keeps me motivated. I've also found its a little bit like mining for diamonds - there is a lot of debris, but then someone just says something that clicks -my diamond! The good thing about WW is you can do the meetings for a limited amount of time, to see if they work for you - its not as though you have to sign a year long contact. Even though I don't know your situation, I'm also thinking it might be nice for a stay at home mom to have at least one time a week to get out without kids.

3. Default Re: Meetings or not?

Thanks Lillie! yes being a stahm now (and i homeschool) i do need a break now and then. With my husbands new promotion i get to workout at his company Gym and with his new insurance they offer programs we can do such as weight loss that we earn points for and get more money to use. one of the program offers a motivational coach and i picked weight loss..he calls every month to see where i am at and gives me suggestions...i really think this will help me....best of all its all free! sofar it has helped i have been on program for 2 weeks and have been workingout with a friend i used to work with. it has really helped me mentally and phisically. If it doesnt work though i will definatly take your suggestions!
    Hollie
    New Start weight 162.4
    Goal Weight 130

4. Smile Re: Meetings or not?

When I went to the WW meetings in 2007, I felt that it was a great way to feel motivated during the week. I felt more accountable. Since there have been so many changes in my life in the last 5 years, I find it's easier to just use the online tools. I have two kids, a husband, and I am a full time student, so finding time to get to a meeting is almost impossible.

April

5. Default Re: Meetings or not?

I think meetings would be motivational but due to lack of time(four kids!) and finances I am doing this on my own.

I believe in meetings 100%. I have tried not going and I was able to maintain for awhile but eventually it all came back, with more. The more came on because of a baby but still, I couldn't get it off. I need the accountability of meetings. I need to step on that scale and have someone else record my weight to keep me honest. I even weigh in when I know I have a really bad week, PMS or whatever. I have learned I have to do it weekly or it gets away from me.

BTW, I have 3 kids, married, work full time and have gone to grad school full-time and still went to meetings so it is possible to find time if you really want it. You need to take time for yourself, you deserve it.

good luck!

Meetings are AWESOME if you have a great leader and it's a good meeting crowd. But, if the leader does connect with you and the room is full of complainers and/or people who are not passionate about the program (and who would rather joke about pigging out and give the leader a hard time), meetings are not a help. I have seen both. And, I was lucky to get a great leader and a good crowd for the first few years that I was on WW.

Good luck, I hope it works out.

Replies

Yes to meetings!! I find even if you don't say much you get motivated for the next week. Try several different meetings. Every leader has there own style of delivering the meeting topic, so find one that you are comfortable with and one that fits your situation.

Just my 2 cents worth!!

Gayle

I agree that the meetings can be TOTALLY cheesy. My leader is literally a cheerleader and the sacharin sweet lilt of her voice makes me a little nuts. The reason my friend and I go to the meetings is that the weekly core content is very important and the accountablilty of the weekly weigh in. We have tried to do WW on our own, but it has not worked for us. I wish they had a meeting for people that are into the etools, but other than that, I think meetings are a must.

Replies

Try different WW meetings in your area to see where you are most comfortable. You only have to pay for the first WW meeting of the week that you attend and can go to meetings the rest of the week for free. I guarantee if you are consistent you will find a meeting where you will be comfortable and really look forward to being at. You are not lazy. You deserve the best and for many of us it is meetings and online support. Fluffy

I had been on the fence about re-joining for quite a while, they even started up a group at work which begins in Feb. When I did the exchange program-Quick Start- in the late 80's I joined and went to meetings every week for the first month. Once I knew the program, I just weighed in and left. The leader was good but there was a group of women in their mid 50's who dominated the meeting. A friend who had been going off and on for years said those women were there 5 years ago and hadn't lost an ounce. they would weigh in and laugh about their gain or staying the same. One time one of them asked if we could have XXX, when the leader said it was allowed on program, she laughed and said 'good because I ate a whole box" it was that type of behavior each week. i rejoined 5 years ago and I recognized one of the group, I weighed in and left. this time I am not joining, partly because i am not weighing myself at all. I am only going by my clothes, this has taken all of the stress off me, and stopped the scale games. I have been POP since I started on Tuesday, so this Tuesday i try on the jeans that I cannot wear and see what progress I made in a week.

I have this delimia right now~ been in ww ten yrs almost and I lost and got to goal Our kids grew up moved out got a call to adopt hubbys brothers kids so i gained
    Weight watchers is a tool its up to me how I use it!

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/DGJP8991/

I've found I do best when I at least have a buddy for motivation and accountability. I have attended meetings in the past but most of the time I didn't feel it was very motivating. Also, the small town where I live has limited meeting times that don't work well for me. So! I'm online and will be checking in here daily.

Replies

The meeting times are very limited in my area. There are only two. You have to have the motivation to work the program anyay, so I don't see that the meetings are necessary.

Replies

People who attend meetings lose more weight than those who do not. However I lost my first 82 lbs online alone by myself with this site as my "meeting". It's possible. Just have to be consistent coming here. Reading and posting.

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

Replies

Still meetings are fun and bring in the element of accountability.

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.