Thread: Vitamix owners, please tell me what you use your Vita Mix for

Replies

Default Vitamix owners, please tell me what you use your Vita Mix for

I was debating getting a Vitamix a few months ago. Trying to justify cost vs usage. I decided for an occasional smoothie, I couldn't justify the cost. Well...as I move forward to being a vegetarian and eating more plant based foods, I am again reconsidering it. Now I am thinking I just might need a Vitamix.

I would appreciate your input.

Pro's/Con's?
    Model? It looks sooo big/tall, does it fit in a cupboard? (I am seeing a small model)
    Where to buy?
    Ease of cleaning?
    And anything you think I should know.

Thanks!
    Trudie
    HW: 190.4/SW: 180.2 5/23/07
    CW: phat PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Replies

Default Re: Vitamix owners, please tell me what you use your Vita Mix for

Cheapest price is the one they have at Costco when they are there. You can check the "Costco Showcase" schedule. They're usually here 2-3 times a year.

We use ours for a variety of things-- making almond milk, taking whole tomatoes to make into pasta sauce, protein shakes, etc. TBH, I have a handheld B&D blender/puree stick that I use much more often. It will blend smoothees and puree soups, etc. That being said, I don't regret buying it. Worth it for the almond milk alone.
    Kimberley

Replies

Thanks Kimberley. We don't have a Costco locally, and I am not a member. I think I am going to quit thinking about it and just order the 5200 right from Vitamix. Honestly, I don't drink much milk and I am considering almond milk for the little bit of baking that I do. It really is easy to make. DH has been making green smoothies in our current blender. I can't get a real smooth smoothie with our blender, always has chuncks of ice in it. I want a machine that can make ice smooth. Sounds like the Vitamix does that. DH is toying with making peanut butter in it. So potentially... it could have a few uses in our house.

Tell me though, how is it for cleaning?
    Trudie

Replies

Super easy. Just put water and one drop of dish washing soap and turn it on. It is its own dishwasher!!

Now that summer is arriving we'll make a lot of smoothies. I haven't made PB as I get plain organic from Costco.
    Kimberley

Replies

PS- We've got the 5200. Both wet and dry blades. We use the dry blade to grind brown rice to make cream of rice hot cereal. Jeff's also used it in the past to grind wheat/spelt to make flour.
    Kimberley

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by KimberleyW View Post
    Super easy. Just put water and one drop of dish washing soap and turn it on. It is its own dishwasher!!
    That's what the website said, glad to hear that it really works.

I am looking at the 5200 with Compact container. Same motor, just has a smaller container. A 48 oz vs 64 oz, plus it would fit under my counter. I think the 64 oz is bigger that I need. The website says they are out of stock, but so does the other 5200's. I guess I will just have to call them.
    Trudie

Replies

WW does not have an official position on juicing but this is unofficial. When you juice veggies you use way more than if you ate a handful of baby carrots. I do not know the specifics but the abuse potential with juicing is very high. In order to get a glass of veggie juice you have to use a whole bunch more than you would if you just ate them. You may have to count points.
    I'd buy a better blender and save the money on the Vitamix.
    Just my opinion though.

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

Replies

Peg- Juicers take away the fiber and just keep the water/sugar in fruits/veggies. When you make juice smoothies with the VitaMix, you use it whole. I can make enough smoothie for the entire family with a couple pieces of fruit and some soy milk. Likewise, I can make a litre of vegetable juice with just a handful of veggies and some water!
    Kimberley

Replies

Of course, the one I wanted is out of stock until July. She's trying to sell me one in the "Creation" series. I told her I'd have to rethink things now....ugh. Who knows, I could change my mind by July. I need to do a little more home work before I make a decision or should I say investment.

Peg, I am thinking about making some good smoothies, iced latte's, margarita's, peanut butter, hummus, sorbets, soups, things like that. DH does like green smoothies. I can't get past the color, and am not able to bring it to my lips. I want to eat me veggies vs drinking them. Also, I want a machine that can really handle ice.
    Trudie

10. Default Re: Vitamix owners, please tell me what you use your Vita Mix for

So if we use a Vitamix would total the points for all the ingredients and then divide that by the # of servings? Is that how to track points or is there any other way we'd need to do it? Thanks.

Replies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tikibc28 View Post
    So if we use a Vitamix would total the points for all the ingredients and then divide that by the # of servings? Is that how to track points or is there any other way we'd need to do it? Thanks.
    I know there are different theories on this, but for me, I don't count fruit and vegetables I blend into smoothies because I figure I'm eating the fiber too. I only count the milk/yogurt/soymilk/almond milk I use.

If you find you aren't losing weight, you may need to look into counting them as points. Or, if you eat more fruit outside of having a smothie, then you may want to count them.

Also, if you blend leafy greens like spinach, kale, collard greens, etc. I find strawberries do a good job of covering up the taste them.