Thread: liking the new look

Default liking the new look

I really like this look to bootcamp. Thanks. I also think not seeing the "views" is better. I think when you see the amt. of ppl who have looked at the topic, you are apt to not reply if too few bothered. Does that make sense?
    Tracking is my new normal
    goal reached 1999 and 2011 and 20??

Replies

Default Re: liking the new look

Thanks Cheryl! I appreciate the feedback! Makes sense with the views - We had modified it for the them to be hidden but lost that mod when we upgraded. It will be added again soon, so that views are hidden. We will eventually use them to calculate thread popularity which will highlight popular threads.

Replies

Why are some ranks greyed out and some green?
    All in all it looks great but I am not a fan of competition to get more awards and ranking. Still it's a valuable place and thank you so much for the hard work.

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

Replies

Hey Peggy,

The ranking system is similar to the old one, just with new graphics and new methods to calculate ranks. It is really mostly just for fun and not meant for any competition. Although now, I do use the ranking to help set forum permissions for new members, and give more permissions to established members. There are a lot of technical reasons for doing this such as our users security, server/database security, and spam prevention.

The rank names and images are very similar to actual army ranks. The green ranks are for enlisted members, and the black/grey ranks are officer ranks. We will probably make them a little smaller with our next updates and also include a place where you can see the rank order. It basically works by taking into consideration how long you've been around the forum, and how active you are. The longer you have been here, and the more active you are - the higher your rank.

The achievements and awards are also a new feature added just for fun. It uses numerical statistics from the forum database to show user activity. It's not meant for any kind of competition, but more of way to see how active the forum is as a community. The only encouragement for individual users who do want to try and get achievements or awards, is to become more active in the forums.

Again these are all in testing and development so I appreciate any and all feedback.

Replies

Nice Jace thank you very much for the detailed explanation. This is a big job and you are working it!