Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attention All BCB Members!

Default Re: Attention All BCB Members!

True confession: 12 years ago, I ran a website that had a forum. It was sports related. And, the forum took off. For a two or three year period, it was one of the more popular and most visited forums regarding the particular sport that it focused on. But, by the time it was around six years old, the fourm was dead. Looking back, I would say that it was a team effort. I had too heavy a hand as an administrator. Some members were only interested in starting trouble. There was just too much drama on a daily basis. Eventually, people picked sides. One group went and started another forum. So did another group. And, the group that was left was not enough to keep the forum hopping. And, eventually, it just went dark.

Based on that, I would suggest that this forum should do two things: Get those still around to be more active (esp. outside of the clique threads) and encourage (dare I say recruit) more members to join. The former is an attainable goal. The latter is tricky. But, if you want a good and active forum, you need a lot of people using it and posting.

Personally, I found this forum by accident when someone, somewhere else, suggested googling "Why the scale lies." Maybe that's the answer? More content on the site - essays, blogs, success stories, etc. And, when people find that, then they will find the forum too. And, if those here today are making the fourm interesting, then the newbies will stick around and test the water too...maybe.

That's my two cents. I offer it with the hope that it helps. It was meant with no other intention.

Replies

Good experienced info Super. I think we can all figure out what sport it was though! LOL

Jason, after reading Denise's response, I realized maybe I should say something that I personally believe has affected morale the worst. The addition of the "views" feature on the website has been a factor in the decline of posting, I believe. It gets discouraging to write something, see that hundreds have read it but only a handful have responded. Speaking personally, I know that I sometimes feel a little creeped out knowing there are hundreds of people lurking/spying/reading what I write who never interact with me on any kind of personal level. It keeps me from writing some things. I know it keeps others from writing as well.

It's a fact of life on a public website that you're going to have a lot more lurkers than you are participants. I think we all know that on some level, but having the "view" feature there brings it front and centre to our attention and makes us less likely to post things and more likely to get our feelings hurt that so many people will look at a call for a help or a birthday wish and can't even be bothered to type in one or two words of support or encouragement.

So, I don't know if we can ever get back to the point where someone would have a birthday and there would be at least 2 pages of happy birthday wishes. But it can only help if we get to the point where someone has a birthday and they get 2 responses and don't wind up feeling badly about themselves because they saw 200 people couldn't even type 2 words.

That's just my $0.02.
    Kimberley

Supe, I think you're right on. I, too, am part of a forum (make-up, not sports) that's currently flagging. Fresh content is a good idea, as is breaking out of one's comfort zone when posting.

Kimberley, I think you are also onto something. It's a drag to post asking for help, or suggesting a challenge, and see one answer and literally dozens of views.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

SW:231 (12/30/11) CW:223.5 (-7.5 lbs) First goal: 5% (219.5)

Kim, Kris - thanks.
    Actually, the sport is baseball - that's my passion.
    My handle here reflects the date that I made lifetime in WW.

I'm just a casual football fan. But, baseball is on my mind 365 days a year.

Also, don't let the views count creep you out. Many of those views may be "not human" and it's just search bots accessing the site.
    I think that could be it - not 100% sure. Maybe Jason would know?

Replies

Super- That's interesting. I didn't know about the search bots. I guess that's even more depressing knowing that it's only 200 robots reading my posts! LOL
    My DH has the MLB app and listens to baseball all day and into the night while he's working (engineer). I just can't get into baseball, though I did watch the Blue Jays back in their heyday. I don't do football either. Basketball and tennis more my speed.
    Kimberley

Replies

Your 100% right, a majority of views are webcrawlers and people like me who frequent the same post multiple times, reviewing my own typing for typos. Your concern does raise some interesting points however, and also gives me a few ideas how we can improve upon thread ranking.

I agree with Super Bowl XLI, the main goal would be to focus on drawing actual human guest viewers into becoming members. Perhaps the registration form could use an update and become more simplified, yet still secure enough to prevent "non-human" guests from registering and posting spam. Point and case example; I've registered this username almost 4 days ago and have yet to receive any valid new member requests. The addition of desirable "Members Only" features may also encourage new members to sign up and become active. I think the current members may find some satisfaction from these as well.

We can also do away with ranking by views and posts. Perhaps a star ranking system or similar. This is more of an out of site out of mind solution compared to the main goal. I'd be interested in knowing how the majority of members would feel about that. I may setup a few polls in the near future to gather some additional feedback. Thank you all again for the warm welcomes. I hope everyone has a pleasant weekend!

Oh yea, and....

Hi mom!

It all sounds good to me. I agree with all the suggestions, great points and diff.views....I sort of get some it but I also am alittle behind all this computer.
    Tracking is my new normal
    goal reached 1999 and 2011 and 20??

I also been here along time. I love what BCB has done for me and the ppl I've met

Replies
    Blog Entries

For what it's worth--when I click onto the Buddy Group I post on, about 50 threads pop up. When I click on the General Thread, only the day's threads show up. I know that one can "show more threads," but I'm wondering if having say a month's worth of threads (or even 2 weeks worth) would get more people posting on the general thread because there would be a variety of topics. Now, I must admit that this is the only board I have ever participated on and I know nothing, so maybe it's something I have to do to my own computer to have more threads show up

A variety of topics might help. The board got pretty busy a year ago when the Points Plus program came in.
    Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

Replies

Hey and welcome from another long time member. I rarely leave my home board either, but promise to start exploring more of the threads. I look forward to seeing what changes you come up with!
    Ann
    SW: 158.6 Dec. 10, 2010
    Goal weight: 137

Current weight 128.2 July 18, 2014🐾🐾🐾

Replies

It's been a long time since I've been on this website but I opened it today and found this thread.

I'm only 3 lbs from my WW goal. I'm now eating a gluten free vegan diet.

I know Kimberely knows me. Maybe someone else, who knows? I'll take a look around and see what's up with eveeryone.
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan
    "Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer
    "Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall
    "The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Replies

Donna you're no stranger here. Welcome back.

Replies

Donna~As Peg said, you are no stranger. It's nice to see you here. That's fantastic that you are just 3 pounds from your goal.
    Trudie
    HW: 190.4/SW: 180.2 5/23/07
    CW: phat PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

15. Default Re: Attention All BCB Members!

It's been a few months since I've been active on this site, but I wanted to say Hi Jason and Welcome!
    MT
    MT

HI Donna and MT, welcome back. MT, what a cute ticker, love it.

Replies

Jason, !! I can speak for our "older" group that we love your mom and all she has done for this site. I've been around since 2001 and can vouch for how much help it has been to me on my wt loss journey and in learning to live healthier, not to mention the friends I have made here. Have met many in person.

Thank you for taking over. Sorry I'm so late in seeing this thread. I stay focused on the 50's and Beyond group and the Christian group and often miss other threads and posts.

Wishing you all the best!

Bonnie

Total loss: 52 lbs incl 10 from 2008
    GW 137 August 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    We can also do away with ranking by views and posts. Perhaps a star ranking system or similar.
    I kind of like the "military-themed" number of posts ranking system. I never felt either put down, or built up by it (or by the number of views). It kind of goes along with the bootcamp theme. If I saw that many people had viewed but few or none had posted when I asked a question, it just made me think that a lot of others were wondering the same thing.
    Last edited by DES2; 04-14-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: fixing typo
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135
    Maintaining since 5/18/06

Replies
    Blog Entries

Welcome Jason! My life has been a bit wild the last couple of weeks and computer time has been quick and limited to checking on the two groups I post with most often. Sorry I did not welcome you earlier.

This board has been a wonderful help for me - helping me stay encouraged and accountable on this ww journey. So very thankful for it1
    Esther
    Goal 160
    SW 178
    Just do what you know to do!

Smile Re: Attention All BCB Members!

OMGosh.......How did I miss this thread ??? I know how I missed this thread. I passed "GO" one too many times, and failed to see that there were other threads where there was a chance to collect 200 dollars. (If only.........)

Jason.....a belated welcome to you as you take on the task of revitalizing your mother's BCB dream/passion. I can't tell you how this website, and its members has changed my life for the better.

Gosh, it's been so long, I can't even remember how I learned of BCB. One thing is for sure........for all my personal struggles...........BCB has been the one constant in my life leading me to a healthier existence. Eventually I ditched the WW meetings, and made myself the one I had to be accountable to !!! Don't feel sorry for WW though. Yes, they did provide me with the "tools for success", but then they were amply remunerated for 30 plus years, before I finally wised up and took responsibility for my own health.

Superbowl and Jason.........Thanks for the education re: searchbots and webcrawlers. Like Kimberley, I would become discouraged seeing "XXX" views, but very few responses.

Superbowl.....I agree, I would like to see a subforum for those of us at lifetime/maintaining. Geez, maybe I better take a closer look.......it may already be there ???

Once again, Welcome Jason......and a big thank you and to Denise for creating this wonderful website in the first place.

Karen

HERE WE GO AGAIN !!

STGoal #1: 200 lbs

Losses to date: 8.3 lbs

And Yes Indeedy.........there it is !!! BCB for life !!!! Thanks to Superbowl and Peggy for giving the forum it's KICKSTART !!!!

Karen
    HERE WE GO AGAIN !!

STGoal #1: 200 lbs

Losses to date: 8.3 lbs

22. Default Re: Attention All BCB Members!

Welcome Jason.

I've made lifetime friends on the buddy system, Don't know what I would do w/o talking with our group everyday. May I suggest a General TRIED n TRUE recipe site for the entire forum. I started one a couple of years in the buddy system group back but always have to go searching for it.

Will be looking forward to what you bring to BCB

Jane, I clicked on both animal sites. Does it really give free food?

24. Default Re: Attention All BCB Members!

Hi Cheryl, and yes the sponsors on the links provide 10 pieces of kibble to Animal Shelters to help feed their hungry dogs and cats. Play Bow-Wow Trivia and Meow Trivia every day - the more you play, the more kibble for the dogs and cats. And I especially like the trivia; I've learned so much and love seeing all the rescue stories.

You can set it up to get a daily reminder emailed to you. I click on them every single day and the more people that will do that, the more kibble for sheltered pets. For example the free kibble site has donated 1,330,831,930 pieces of kibble donated since 2008!!

Thanks, your clicks are appreciated!

25. Default Re: Attention All BCB Members!

Lorraine, I love the dancing letters! Where did you find them?!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast