Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Doin' It - Cold Or Not

Red face Just Doin' It - Cold Or Not

It's cloudy here today and 34 degrees (F) out. The wind is gusting at 20-30 MPH which gives it a Windchill of 22 degrees.

Oh, and, we have some snow flurries.

I'm not a winter person. In fact, anything below 73 degrees is not my style!

I could hide inside today. But, in 8 minutes, I'm going for a 2.7 mile walk to get some exercise and APs.

How's that for a NSV?

Default Re: Just Doin' It - Cold Or Not

It wasn't so bad. When I started, I wondered if it was a mistake. And, in the wind, it was nasty. But, once I got going, I was OK. Did it in 38 minutes - tying my personal best time. (It's usally 40 minutes, start to finish, like clockwork for me. Maybe this was a wind assisted time!)

So, my time today was 4.26 MPH. I have no idea - is that a good walking speed?

Replies
    Blog Entries

SuperBowl - That's a great NSV! Congratulations for getting out there in the cold. My plan was to run all winter. I got the microfiber tights and the trak things you put on your shoes and the goofy little hat. My doctor told me there is no reason to stop running outside if that's what I want to do. She said I just need to make sure my core stays warm and the wind can't get through my outer layer. I ran in the snow and sub-zero temp for the first time last week. For the first ten minutes I was worried about my face but after that I felt fine.

As far as time goes, I don't know if that's a good walking speed or not. If it's a personal record for you, I'd say it's a GREAT speed.
    Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10)
    CW: 158.2
    GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

Thanks Heather. I will say that gear is very important. Today, I had on Eddie Bauer long underwear under my jeans, a heavy Champion hoodie over my sweat shirt, and Under Armour gloves. And, it helped. Well, that, and when I hit the halfway mark because I was starting to heat up by then.

Great job on your end getting out there in the snow!

I thought anything over 4mph was considered a jog. Check WW etools for the activity points. I'm pretty sure they consider 4 and over a jog so how 'bout that?! I am giving myself a NSV just to get up at 5 tomorrow, drive to fitness center walk in the cold 24F to spin for an hour. Oh but those after burner highs (endorphins)
    Tracking is my new normal
    goal reached 1999 and 2011 and 20??

Replies

Good job Super Bowl!

I should have read this sooner. It might have given me the push I needed. After work, I said I am NOT going to run in this wind. I do have good cold weather running gear. It was 16 with a windchill of -1 when I ran my 5 miler on Thanksgiving and I did just fine. I did remind myself of that as I was driving home, but still chose not to run.
    Trudie
    HW: 190.4/SW: 180.2 5/23/07
    CW: phat PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl39 View Post
    I thought anything over 4mph was considered a jog.
    Cheryl - thanks. I've been cursed at by my family, more than once, for walking too fast. ;-) I guess I just don't have a slow gear?
    Believe it or not, eTools says I get 8 points for my walk. Well, that's one way the points inflation works in my favor, I guess!
    Go get 'em at spin!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Chubber View Post
    It was 16 with a windchill of -1 when I ran my 5 miler on Thanksgiving and I did just fine. I did remind myself of that as I was driving home, but still chose not to run.
    Trudie - thanks. Wow, you're a warrior - that's too cold for me, gear or not. Don't feel bad about skipping after work today. You know you're own body better than anyone else, and, maybe your brain was just saying "not today" for a reason? Tomorrow's another day. See how you feel then - that's all that matters.

Thanks SB XLI. Know what? I overslept today, woke up with 15 min to get to class. But I did! I got my 11 pts too. I agree I like the more points I get for some of my workouts.

Replies

Cheryl~I am looking at your siggy. Congrats on your Shred workouts. I have that DVD and she kicks ****, good job!
    Trudie

awww thanks Trudie. Truth be told I didn't like it much. I bought Gilads express workout dvd and can mix it up to my needs and feel good after. I love seeing how the workouts look on my arms/legs. Your new pic is cute too. Did it take long to get below the goal weight? Not that it matters . I look at it like I have nothing else to do. But really I just need to get to goal and stay there, I'm only a few pounds from "free"dom (I mean paying )

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl39 View Post
    Your new pic is cute too. Did it take long to get below the goal weight?
    Thanks Cheryl.
    May 23-180.2
    Aug 29-152.5 (wwgw 155)
    Nov 2-138.6
    Feb 29-129.1 (less then 130)

So, it looks like 3 months to get to my WWGW, which truely was my goal. I just to get there.
    It took a total of 9 months to get to 129. I was completely OP. The weight came off slowly but steadily the last 3 months.

I never dreamed I would get there, or ever even planned to get that low. I actually got just under 125 pounds and added more points to stay above 125. I have been maintaining since then, keeping my weight less then 130. I love where I am at with my health and weight.
    Trudie

looks great on you
    so I thought I'd do a makeup spin class this morning and got up 5 A.M. got there (great parking space) no class bc no leader. I misunderstood as usual.. I choose to go back home and I did 40 on my treadmill on incline. I watched Biggest Loser. I could've puttered around or sat on the computer but I did my workout

It's cloudy and cold here again today - 36 degrees (F) with a windchill of 26 degrees.
    But, I did my 2.7 mile walk anyway. Once again, it was 38 minutes, door to door. Amazing how the cold will get your **** into gear.

Okay - you're kidding me. Now I have NO excuse. I've been thinking, "Woe is me...I guess I can't work out outside! It's winter!" And then I read this. SIGH! Haha juuust kidding. I'm actually HAPPY I came across this thread. It's just the motivation and excuse-stopper that I needed. I live in the snow belt of Northeastern Ohio, however. We have almost 2 feet of snow (7 inches from today alone) right now. So do you still go walking or jogging in that type of weather? I'm so inspired to get out and walk tomorrow, but I need some snow walking tips!

LOL Lee. Two feet of snow would probably make skip the walk. Actually, I do sort of look forward to the snow, as long as I don't have to drive in it.

True story: When I moved here, back when I was fat, I came from a house that had little property. So, I didn't own a snowblower because I didn't need one. Here, I have a huge driveway - you can fit five or six cars in it, if you had to - and a long sidewalk.

First winter here, I nearly died shoveling. Went out and bought a snowblower, quick, like all my neighbors have, etc. Then, I lost all the weight.

Snowblower is old now and last winter it broke down - in the middle of a major storm. So, I said "Screw it. I'm old schooling it with the shovel. It might take me longer. But, it's great exercise." As I was out there, more than one neighbor came over and offered to use their snowblower to help me out. I told them "No thanks. I want the exercise." They all thought I was nuts. But, I meant it. And, if we get any big snows this year, I'll be out there with my shovel - scoring major activity points in the process.

See, there's always a way to get in some APs - snow or no snow.

Good for you, I am that way with mowing the lawn. So many rider mowers. Where I can I use the walk behind. Its going on 5A.M. here snow but not as much as Lee. I am ventering out to go spinning at the school. I hope its open.

I did it and bf they closed the school due to weather , feel grrrreat

Attagirl Cheryl!

Hahah thanks guys! Sometimes I wish I had a dog so I would HAVE to take him for a walk! That would be the perfect excuse! I really think I'll take a LONG walk today in spite of the horrendous amount of snow. I am so inspired to do that, and I think I'll be fine. The streets are plowed, and I live in a really quiet neighborhood with minimal traffic, so I can walk along the roadside. I wouldn't do that on a major road though, because people are fishtailing and spinning out everywhere...and I would get hit by a car! Lol...not my goal.

Anyway, my point is that I'm motivated. SUPER motivated. Thanks you guys. And way to go Cheryl! That's awesome to hear!

Thanks guys and Lee, you will feel so accomplished afterwards.

I walked yesterday. Where the snow drifts, it was taller than 4 feet. It's insane! Hahahah I didn't walk the entire season of fall...and winter comes, and I start walking?!

Anyway, it was really nice. Freezing cold, but nice.

I only walked 1.2 miles, and I couldn't get a good pace going because of the ice, but still - it was a little bit of activity. I plan on doing a Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout DVD today at some point. THAT's intense exercise...and you never stop sweating.

Go get'em Lee!

Replies
    Blog Entries

Lee - All the runners I know who run in Michigan in winter wear Yakstraks. You put them on your shoes and they give you lots of traction. I've been running with them and they make a huge difference. I got the expensive ones - the Yakstraks Pros for $20 at Dunham's Sports. There was a simpler version the sales associate said the walkers get that was about $12 I think. Just a thought and good for you getting out there.
    Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10)
    CW: 158.2
    GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast