Thread: "Oh, You Must Be A Runner"

Default "Oh, You Must Be A Runner"

This morning, I had an appointment to have my body fat measured. (I'll blog more on that later.) The woman who did the test - who I never met before in my life and who is a professional weight loss consultant - used those words (Oh, you must be a runner) the minute she first met me.

I get this a lot since I made lifetime back in January 2007. I would say at least 25% of the time I meet someone for the first time, they say (making conversation) "You must be a runner."

My wife and I joke about it every time someone says it - because we hear those exact words so often.

The joke? I don't run - at all. If I had to guess, the last time I tried to run a mile was...I don't know...maybe 32 years ago when I was 16?

Now, I want to give running a try someday. It's probably something I should do in terms of cardio health. But, in the meantime, I'm going to take this reaction as a NSV every time it comes. Because, for sure, before WW, no one EVER confused me with being a runner.

Replies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "Oh, You Must Be A Runner"

Way to go! I would be interested in hearing your experience if you ever decide to actually become the runner you embody. I would like to try it too, but I'm afraid it would be too hard on the knees for those of us older than 50.

Replies

That's awesome!
    I am a runner, though one wouldn't think so by looking at me. I don't fit the profile. I would love it if someone said that to me.
    Trudie
    HW: 190.4/SW: 180.2 5/23/07
    CW: phat PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Replies
    Blog Entries

Yes, Lillie, it is hard on the knees for those of us over 50 I was a runner 30 years ago, but those days are long gone. I read somewhere that every pound overweight is like 4 pounds on the knees... my knees are tons better than they were a year ago. Still not running knees, though.

Hey, SuperBowl... you must feel GREAT that people see you as fit and healthy. I have seen a number of people on this board talk about doing the C25K (Couch to 5k run) program. I certainly cannot speak from personal experience about the program, but I hear it's good. If you're so inclined to start running, it might be worth a peek... just Google it. I've seen posters give good advice, too, so when you're ready, there will be people to guide you through.
    Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

Lillie - thanks. I will let you know. And, I'm "almost 50" as I will turn 48 next week. (In my mind, that's on the doorstep of 50 although my wife keeps telling me two years is a long way from 50.)
    Trudie - I've seen your before and afters. And, you look like a runner to me!
    crescentbeachzoo - For Me/Heather has already recommened C25K to me. And, I'm really, really, thinking about it. Since I will be unemployed at year end, and it will probably take me a few months to find a job - and hopefully not longer! - I will have some spare time on my hands. The trick will be the weather. Maybe January on the east coast is not the time to start something like that?

By the way, this is me

Replies

Super Bowl~You look GREAT!!!

I ran a 5 mile Turkey Trot yesterday. There was a 2 mile and a 5 mile. The man that gave me my race packet said "you must be here for the 5 miler, you look like a runner." I just smiled and said, yes, I am running the 5 miler. As small as that may seem, HE.MADE.MY.DAY!
    Trudie

Thanks Trudie.
    And, HEY, remember, I said that YOU look like a runner FIRST! ;-)

Great job running yesterday. Someday I would like to say that I ran a race on a day where people usually stuff themselves.

For what it's worth, I did go for a 2.7 mile walk yesterday. (That's the mileage of main roads that form a square around my house.) It's usually a 40 minute walk for me - but, I decided to jog, for a little bit, on it yesterday and cut it down to 38 minutes. That's an all-time record for me.

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Super Bowl XLI View Post
    And, HEY, remember, I said that YOU look like a runner FIRST! ;-)
    LOL, You did indeed, and I have not forgotten. Good job on the walk/run. That's where it all begins, just saying....
    Trudie

Replies
    Blog Entries

Hey, Super Bowl... if you keep breaking out into a jog on and off during your 40-minute walk (that is now 38 minutes), it won't be long until you ARE a runner! Oh, and I know exactly how you feel about being 48 and thinking you're almost 50... I'm exactly 10 years ahead of you and I do the same... thinking I'm "almost" 60. And last night, I was thinking that in 10 years, I'll be "almost" 70. Good thing age is only a number.

Keep on running.
    Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

Thanks crescentbeachzoo - I do hope to someday be able to say "yes" to that runner question. ;-)

Hey, remember, age is mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter!

Someone once said to me, how old would you say you are, if asked, and you had no idea or documents on how old you actually are?
    I know, mentally, I still feel like I'm 26. Now, the body, that's a different story. But, thanks to WW, it's probably closer to 37 than it is 48. And, I'll take that. ;-)

Replies

Wink Re: "Oh, You Must Be A Runner"

No one will ever say I look like a runner. I do run, but I'm still in denial of officially being called "a runner". I did not start running until I was 57, so there is no excuse not running because you are "almost 50". I'm 61 and still plodding along. I won't ever be fast. I do a lot of 5K races, and I'm just glad I make it to the Finish Line. I run with, well not with, my daughter at 5K races. We both start at the same time, and I usually finish 5-10 minutes after she does.
    Liz
    The Dressage Queen

Liz - thanks for the inspiration! Starting at 57? That's awesome. And, even better that you keep at it!

I'm really going to try doing C25K after the holidays. The only thing that will stand in my way would be if we get a lot of snow. But, even then, maybe I can take it into the gym and hit the treadmill?

Yesterday, I timed myself and found that I can walk 2.7 miles at a rate of 4.26 MPH. (I walk pretty fast.) My goal is to become a runner so that maybe I can run at (maybe) 6 MPH or a little better when I finally "make it." (Is that slow? Maybe? But, it's faster than walking!)

Thanks for proving to me that it's never too late! Keep at it!

Met someone for the first time today. Got it again. "You must run. I bet you run, a lot." And, now that I've been doing C25K for 5 weeks, I could honestly answer "Yeah, I run a little bit." :-)

Replies

Lol, love it Super Bowl!
    Trudie

Thanks Trudie!

17. Default Re: "Oh, You Must Be A Runner"

FWIW, I heard a study on NPR a few months ago that said running is not harder on your knees than not running, statistically. To SOME extent, exercise is good for old arthritic knees.
    Latebloomer

Thanks Latebloomer. I've had no issues during a 5K. But, not sure if my knees/legs would like doing 13.1 or 26.2...even if I could run that far, which I know I can't, now.

19. Default Re: "Oh, You Must Be A Runner"

Quote Originally Posted by Super Bowl XLI View Post
    Liz - thanks for the inspiration! Starting at 57? That's awesome. And, even better that you keep at it!

I'm really going to try doing C25K after the holidays. The only thing that will stand in my way would be if we get a lot of snow. But, even then, maybe I can take it into the gym and hit the treadmill?

Yesterday, I timed myself and found that I can walk 2.7 miles at a rate of 4.26 MPH. (I walk pretty fast.) My goal is to become a runner so that maybe I can run at (maybe) 6 MPH or a little better when I finally "make it." (Is that slow? Maybe? But, it's faster than walking!)

Thanks for proving to me that it's never too late! Keep at it!