Thread: What good book are you reading?

Replies

Smile What good book are you reading?

I just finished a really good book, Still Alice by Lisa Genova. Really good book.

Any other readers out there??
    Moe

Default Re: What good book are you reading?

I just finished "Lit" by Mary Karr. It is her third memoir (she wrote the famous "Liar's Club") and it chronicles her writing life as a poet, her life as mother, academic, alcoholic, and Catholic convert. She is a Texan with attitude but quite lyrical in her writing. Her insight on addiction certainly caused me to take a look at my own food addictions.

I also read "The Beleivers" by Zoe Heller, and "Everything is Illuminated" by Jonathan Safran Foer."
    Mary

40 year old mom to Abby and Lily, ages 5 and 2

CW 216 SW 245 (2004) LW 185 (2006)

Replies

In the last couple of weeks...

Once a Runner by John L Parker (competitive track circa 1970s)
    Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child (thriller by one of my favorite authors)
    Touched by and Alien by Gini Koch (urban fantasy romance, recommended by a friend)
    Paragon Lost by Dave Dincan (a great fantasy author)

Current / in progress:
    A Wife's Tale by Lori Lansens - started last night and I am really enjoying this one
    Shadowfall by James Clemens (epic fantasy)
    Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew Crawford (nonfiction, role of trades in society, brilliant and a lot to think about)
    Terri
    SW: 309.8 / CW: 265.8 / Next Goal: 253.0 / WW Loss: 44.0 lbs

Replies

I'm too over-tired today for long/short-term memory where my books are concerned!! *eek*

Right now I'm making my way through JD Robb's "In Death" series. There are over 30 volumes and I'm halfway through.

Last night (when I couldn't sleep), I read Kelley Armstrong's newest "The Reckoning". I've got "Tales from the Otherworld" on the hold shelf so I'll pick that up tonight! I also have Nora Roberts' newest "Savor The Moment" on hold and will read it quickly.

I'm anxiously awaiting PC Cast's newest book "Burned" from the House of Night series. Also, Jodi Picoult's newest "House Rules". And VERY MUCH looking forward to reading the 3rd installment in the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series-- The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. And Janet Evanovich's newest Stephanie Plum book "Sizzlin' Sixteen". My plan is to go through Sue Grafton's alphabet books next too (U is for Undertow being the most recent).

I'm waiting for Angelology-- looks interesting. Also, Emily Giffin's newest "The Heart of the Matter". And "The Long Song" by Andrea Levy. Anna Quindlen's newest "Every Last One".

I'm reading a lot of the books my (almost) 12 year old is reading so we're waiting for Michael Scott's newest in the Alchemyste series "The Necromancer", Rick O'Riordan's newest "The Red Pyramid", Alyson Noel's upcoming book in the Shadowland series called "Dark Flame". And Claudia Gray's "Hourglass" in the Evernight series. Plus the newest Charlie Bone book coming out soon. And, Melissa de la Cruz's Bluebloods series upcoming "Keys to the Repository".

I could go on. I'm a book FREAK!!!!

Terri- I like Lori Lansens and I put "Once a Runner" on hold at the library!
    Kimberley

Replies

Kimberley, I like Jodi Picoult. The first one I read of hers was "The Pact" and after that "My Sister's Keeper" and at that one I was hooked. Have read probably 3 or 4 others as well, I like to browse the bookshelves at Chapter's and pick up whatever catches my eye. I actually picked up "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" last time I was in but elected to buy something else instead - what do you think of that series?

I brought 7 books to ON with me for a planned 10 day trip - I've finished 4 already so it's a good thing the trip will be cut short. I've said before that I have to take more books than I think I'll read, because how will I know what I'll be in the mood for? Some people agree, some think I just never learned how to pack light. This morning I finished "A Wife's Tale" and I have to say, it was great right up to the final chapter in which the heroine miraculously recovers after a lifetime of eating disorder and eats "just enough" - yeah right! Also Inside Out Girl by Tish Cohen which I loved, reminded me somewhat of "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" in terms of showing the unique perspective of a child deemed "special needs". It was good at switching perspectives between single mom of two kids, single dad of special needs girl, teenage daughter of the woman, special needs daughter of the man, etc.

I'm going to have to print out all of your lists and go looking at some of those the next time I shop for books.
    Terri

Replies

Terri - my husband is not a big reader, but he got really into this book about a runner, can't remember the name of it. But, it was just a book that his dad picked up for him at a second hand book store. So, I went online after that to see what other real life running books I could find. The one you mentioned, Once a Runner was one I was looking at. Maybe I will have to get it for him and maybe I would like it too.

I just finished one, a memoir about a girl who spends 15 months in a minimum-security prison called Orange is the New Black....and am about to start The Book Of Negroes.
    Moe

Replies

I've been mostly reading urban fantasy for the last week, standouts were by Jenna Black and Pamela Palmer. I am also in progress of reading Late Nights On Air which is a character-driven novel about the people at a Yukon radio station in the 1970s. Very much "Canadian fiction" in the stereotypical sense - lyrical and subtle and descriptive. And as a counterpoint to that, American Gods by Neil Gaiman, which is a less subtle but still quite intricate plot involving the gods of past cultures, highly entertaining and suspenseful.

I am of two minds on memoirs, there are some that I have loved (e.g. The Glass House by Jeannette Walls or The Wishing Year by Noelle Oxenhandler) but I really have to relate to the subject. I'll read a bit of that one the next time I am in a bookstore.
    Terri

Replies

Moe- I read the Book of Negroes. It was good. I can't remember if I read his newest. I'll have to check it out again and see. Like Terri, I have a visual memory so I'll know either by the cover or the first paragraph! You might like "The Birth House" by Ami McKay-- set in Nova Scotia!

Terri- I'm sorry I didn't see the responses on this thread earlier! Thanks for jogging my memory with your question on the 30's forum! We did Lori Lansen's books with the book club. Rush Home Road was good! I read "Late Nights on Air' with our Canadian book club as well. We did her other book. What was it called. Elizabeth Hay, isn't it? I liked the Glass House. My dad was an alcoholic when I was growing up so I can relate to some of those feelings, even though the experience never got dramatic enough to warrant a memoir and he quit cold turkey when I was 8-9.

As for the Stieg Larsson books-- it took a while to get into the first one. It was a bit slow for me to pick up. I wondered what all the fuss was about for at least the first hundred pages. But when it caught on, I was right there and have enjoyed it all. Sad to think that the 3rd one is the last one. There's an almost completely manuscript for the 4th so I wonder if they'll ever do anything else with it. His plan had been to write 10 in total. So sad we'll only get a third of the way through!
    Kimberley

Replies

Just finished The Last Juror and The Appeal by John Grisham. Next up are 2 more in the China Bayles series by Susan Wittig Albert. Nightshade and Wormwood. She has a new series coming out this fall that I'm looking forward to. Bought on off the bargain table at Barnes & Noble that I'll squeeze in somewhere. The Girl Who Stopped Swimming by Joshilyn Jackson. It sounded like a fun summer ghost story.
    Starting weight. 301.4
    Current weight. 295.4
    1st mini goal. 285
    2nd mini goal. 275
    3rd mini goal. 265.

I just started Women Food God... Haven't read enough of it to know if I like it or not... anyone else read this??
    I can do this!

http://dontcallmechubby.blogspot.ca/

Replies

Where did I leave off? I finished up the 3rd book of the Stieg Larsson "Girl" series (Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest). It was pretty good though you can tell that it wasn't finished (the author planned on 10 books but died in the middle of the 4th). After that I read "The Bad Mother's Handbook" since Robert Pattinson is in the movie they made based on the book!! I'm reading the third book in the Evernight series right now (Hourglass). Next up is the new Stephanie Myer "Bree Tanner".

I've got John Hart's "The Last Child" here. It was highly reviewed at Amazon and looks very interesting so I'll get to that quickly!

Sandy- Someone around here was just reading that book. I can't remember who though!!
    Kimberley

Sandy - I have the book and I did start it but haven't been back to it in a while. My sense is that it will be good.
    Kim - I just finished the first in the "girl" series - I want to read the other two right away!
    Live, laugh, love and be happy.

Starting Weight: 237
    Current Weight: 203.5
    My Goal Weight: 180

Replies

All 3 books were good. It's kind of sad that there won't be anymore!!

I just finished the most recent "Women of the Otherworld" book by Kelley Armstrong (Waking the Witch). I love her books-- different supernaturals each book but all within the same community (werewolves, vampires, witches, necromancers, etc) so you can follow through with all the characters, regardless of who the narrator is.

I'm working through "Julie & Julie" and "Cleaving". Also Richard North Patterson's newest "In the Name of Honor".

I finished Stephen King's "Under the Dome" last week, as well as "Before I Fall" (can't remember the author).

I'm going to read "The Stand" again once I get through my current pile!

There's also an HBO series called "Bloodetting" based on the book by Vincent Tam so I'm going to read the book and watch the series.

I've got Pretty Little Liars on hold at the library so my daughter & I will watch the series when we're done reading them.
    Kimberley

Replies

Sandy - I have Women, Food and God and saw the 2 shows Oprah had on with the author. I'm going to read it again. I can so identify with a lot of it.

Moe - I read "Still Alice" and thought it was a really good book on the Alzheimer's disease.

I like books in a series. I'm reading some light ones by Robyn Carr and I do like books that are about families in towns, etc..

Ashlee
    Eat to feed your body, not to feed your emotions.

summerstork Guest

I am working my way through "The Omen" by Frank Peretti. Supposed to be a Christian Thriller...I'll let you know when I get a little deeper into it.

Next on list...Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series.

Just finished the entire Percy Jackson series with my 12 yo DD.

Replies
    Blog Entries

Just got a couple of new books from Amazon that I am working on.

Weight Watchers' Weight Loss That Lasts - so far a great read. Tearing down all those myths about weight loss.

That Perfect Someone - Johanna Lindsey. A wonderful writer of historical romance. This is the latest book in her series of the Malory family.
    ‎"If you really want something, you'll find a way; if you don't, you'll find an excuse." - Unknown

Replies

Currently I'm reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (started since Robert Pattinson stars in the movie); however, it's really good. Totally recommend!
    SW: 239.0 (12.30.10) CW: 233.6 (01.05.12) GW: 150
    Loss: 5.4 lbs thus far

Born of Shadows by Sherrilyn Kenyon <3
    -Sam
    HW/Restart/CW/GW
    240/228/228/130

Replies

I just finished the Black Dagger Brotherhood. Loved these books. I have read the Sookie Stackhouse series and really liked them. I am reading the Vampires in America series now, have read 3 of them they are good. Lol, can you tell I am totally into vampire books?? I don't even want to see how much money I have spent on Amazon buying kindle books, which is funny since I always said I didn't want an e-reader. Then my son gave me one for Christmas 2011 and I have been hooked. I have over 400 books on it and it is so great for traveling, so much easier than packing books.
    Jean
    Jean - 330/215/150

Replies

I love, love, love my Kindle, too. It's so convenient. I'm breaking down and buying a new Kindle Paperwhite next month to replace my old Kindle Keyboard, which I am giving to my daughter. Right now I'm reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer, the author of the Twilight series. It's pretty good, so far. I'm into the vampire books, too, and have read all of the Sookie books. I haven't heard of Vampires in America. I may have to look that one up.
    firechick139

sw 214/cw 194/wwgw 155/pgw 148

"DON'T WAIL ON THE SCALE IF YOU CHEAT WHEN YOU EAT!"

"Needing to lose 70lbs seems overwhelming to me. So, I'm going to lose 1lb - 70 times. That, I know I can do"

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."- Confuscious

A couple of weeks ago, I finally got around to reading the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I absolutely loved them all. I can't wait for the 2nd movie to come out in November. I've also recently read Ever After which is the latest in the Rachel Morgan/Hollows series by Kim Harrison. Right now, I'm reading Awakened which is part of the House of Night series by P.C. and Kristin Cast.
    SW 237.5 (2/18/13)--CW 219.5 (4/29/13)--GW 160

Replies
    Blog Entries

I am reading NOS4A2 by Joe Hill and it's wonderful so far; I am about half way into it.
    273.8/266.8/164
    restart 1 November 14

I just finished up "Notorious Nineteen" by Janet Evanovich, I'm obsessed with the Stephanie Plum series!
    - diana
    ..as tim mcgraw says, "..i ain't as good as i'm gonna get, but i'm better than i used to be."
    sw: 345.4 (02/07/13) cw: 318.8 (as of 04/18/13)

24. Default Re: What good book are you reading?

Finishing an Ann Rule crime file book; the title eludes me but I think it's #4 in the series.