Thread: Why can't I search?

McDLT Guest

Default Why can't I search?

Every time I try to search for something - doesn't matter what it is, I get "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: " Do I have to have a certain number of posts before that feature works?

Default Re: Why can't I search?

Search is not working right now.
    We had an upgrade recently and we lost that service. The site owner is working to restore it soon.

Glad to have you with us by the way....
    CW
    AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=202124

McDLT Guest

Thank you - I thought it might have to do with the upgrade, but I just needed to be sure I wasn't doing anything wrong when I tried to search. I've been lurking for a couple months now. I have learned SO much from this board!

One way to pay forward the knowledge you have gained is to share your experience with others.
    Leading by your example can help so many.....
    Please share your insights.
    CW
    AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=202124

CW, I sure hope the search feature is fixed soon. I think that is one reason the activity on the boards is down. For me , I google a topic like Core pancakes, (Like I did this morning) and look for the results google gives me with healthdiscovery as the site. coming in the back door. But I'm sure lots of us really miss the ability to search. There are such great recipes and ideas here just buried away.
    ~Nancy in SJ

HW 152
    CW 144
    GW 138

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

www.englishsetterrescue.org

Amen to that! It is very frustrating, and a real time-waster not to have the search. Some of you have made it sound like the search was working properly until the January 2010 upgrade, but it has not worked for me since 2007 or so.
    189.8 /140/140 /pg135
    Maintaining since 5/18/06

Replies

Post Re: Why can't I search?

I think we all thought it would be FIXED with the January 2010 upgrade, and were very hopeful...but it wasn't.

I'd like to know if it even can be fixed?

I have spent a lot of time trying to help people, by pulling up a past recipe or post or thread and being completely frustrated by my attempts.

I've seen a lot of good people leave, and a lot of good people spending more time elsewhere. Maybe that's why?.....................

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

Thumbs down Re: Why can't I search?

Quote Originally Posted by sjerseysetter View Post
    CW, I sure hope the search feature is fixed soon. I think that is one reason the activity on the boards is down. For me , I google a topic like Core pancakes, (Like I did this morning) and look for the results google gives me with healthdiscovery as the site. coming in the back door. But I'm sure lots of us really miss the ability to search. There are such great recipes and ideas here just buried away.
    P.S. I've been doing that, too, Nancy...but it isn't very reliable.

Nothing is more maddening than typing in "baked oatmeal" and getting that message: ""The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: baked, oatmeal "!

truthfully, Carol, I've looked into other boards to see if I should 'move'. Sparks, WW, 3 fat chicks, some of those boards have great working search features. I've been around for years and usually post on the WWAH board. But I used to rave to everyone about the recipes here! I'm sure it's why the activity is _ so_ slow here. Why bother when there are so few new posts? You are so right, make a typo and then wait 60 seconds -- only to find out that ain't the issue!!
    ~Nancy in SJ

HW 152
    CW 144
    GW 138

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

www.englishsetterrescue.org

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but this has been bugging me. This is not personal to anyone in particular. I've seen a number of these threads over time and it's just been on my nerves. All users might want to remember that this is a FREE site run by ONE person who pays for the servers and upgrades with just a couple small ads.
    I've had no problem finding posts with google using healthdiscovery in the search criteria.

stepping off the soap box now.
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189

Replies

I agree with Joanne. I truly don't think that people are leaving this site because they can't "search". There are many other reasons people fall away. I appreciate the site for what it does provide.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

I know this has been posted in some of the other "I can't search" threads, but it bears repeating here as well. I use Google. To search for posts here, enter your search as follows:

site:healthdiscovery.net (and then add whatever search words you're looking for)

That has worked really well for me.
    Dandy
    SW:340/CW:183.2/GW:130
    It's not enough to want it, you have to want it enough.

Replies

Arrow Re: Why can't I search?

Thanks, Dandy. I still have to go through several incarnations before I can get "google" to get it right (if at all).

When I was trying Charski's bran bread, it pulled up the threads "looking for" her bran bread recipe and not the actual recipe. After a lot of time, I finally got the right words in the right sequence (I guess).

Anyway, google hasn't been a quick-and-easy substitute for me lately.

14. Default Re: Why can't I search?

I came here to ask the same question. I added the (*) at the end of my word, and then it said it couldn't search for words until 9 letters!!
    I'll try the google search tip!
    And thanks to all that do all the hard work to keep this site running