Thread: What's up with hating exercise?

Replies
    Blog Entries

Default What's up with hating exercise?

So I was thinking today that there are a lot of people on WW (actually people everywhere) who say they "hate" exercise. So I wanted to take a minute and break this down.

Hate – The First Definition in the Miriam-Webster Dictionary:

1 a: intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury

I think we at BCB have an obligation to aid each other in making healthy choices by addressing this issue of “hating exercise”. Every time I hear a buddy, friend, or family member say they hate exercise I cringe. I remember a time in my life when I thought the same way and it was the difference between health and dis-ease.

So here is my 2 cents on the matter.

The next time you say you hate exercise break it down in to manageable pieces:

a. are you afraid of exercise?
    b. do you feel you will be injured while exercising?
    c. are you angry at the idea of exercising?

I think most people fall into the first category. I think they are afraid of exercise. It sounds time consuming and hard...and for some reason we all are afraid of things that are potentially hard!

So let’s break that down. How hard is it to walk around the block? Do you “hate” walking? I mean you do it all day long and you don’t even think about it, but if you plan a 30 minute walk you suddenly “hate” it? Hmmm…I think we need to rethink this.

I don’t think most people hate exercise. I would go so far as to say no one hates exercise. People just don’t like to plan out additional activity in their day. You already exercise all day, you just don’t want to think about doing more “stuff” than you are already doing. You would rather sit on the couch then go for a walk.

Why?

I had to ask myself that one day. Why do I want to sit on this couch? Is it easier? Is it helping me accomplish my goals? Is it in any way benefiting me as a human being? Is it really that hard to go for a walk?

Then I had to re-train my brain. I literally “thought myself active”. While sitting on the couch I would say to myself “Man I wish I was walking right now” before I went to bed I would say “I can’t wait to be busy tomorrow”.

I started telling myself I liked to exercise to deal with my stress (even though I was still eating to deal with my stress).

We have to exercise to survive. We have to move to live.

I challenge all BCB buddies who read this post to plan out just 10 additional minutes of exercise each day.

I challenge you to lie to yourself if needed. Say things to yourself like: “I love exercise” /“I’m one of those people who hate’s sitting around”/"I've always been a person who loves to stay active", whatever you can say to sike yourself into becoming a more active person. Your body loves exercise, you just have to get your brain on the same page.

Train your Brain and your feet will follow.

Replies

Default Re: What's up with hating exercise?

Amanda, you make some excellent points!! Sometimes we can have that ol' mental block against exercise, when it can really be fun and rewarding, if you find the right activity for you.

I just wanted to point out that some of us carrying around 100+ pounds have the ADDED obstacle of using all our energy to just carry out our daily activities...sometimes there seems to be little energy left for scheduled exercise! Also, when you've lost a lot of weight, you still have that mindset that "I can't walk much" or "I can't play volleyball." You have to reach out and take one step into an activity to see if you can do it now -- you'll probably surprise yourself!

So I just wanted to encourage those who have a lot to lose to "start small." Everyone here at BCB has a different journey, and you have to do what YOU can do. By the time you lose more weight, you'll feel much more like exercising, but do at least a little SOMETHING extra now!
    ---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal
    highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150
    *He leadeth me.

Replies
    Blog Entries

Katie - I 100% agree. My ticker doesn't currently reflect it because I'm on a little personal challenge, but by the time I'm done with this I will have lost about 75 pounds (close enough to that 100 pounds lost - I'm going to have to change that ticker back ) so I know how hard it is to get started.

That's why I had to start with 10 minutes a day. Sometimes I started with nothing and day a quart of ice cream . Sometimes I was off plan for weeks at a time. I think my biggest concern for people is not that they actually get up and take that walk, but that they start telling themselves they want to.

It's so important to not say negative things about exercise, even to yourself, because in the end you'll be talking yourself out of being a healthy, active person.

Replies

Amen!! I was reading Jillian Michaels' new book "Master Your Metabolism" and she says quite a few times that she *hates* exercise but it's a necessary evil. Call me crazy but I actually LIKE to exercise. I have my hellishly intense days and my laid-back days but I do *something* every single day. I might ask myself why I like exercise when I'm exhausted beyond belief in the middle of an intense workout but I can get myself over the hump and at least finish with a good attitude! LOL
    Kimberley

Replies

Thumbs up Re: What's up with hating exercise?

I like your post, BeanBlossom! Good points. Most people DO say they "hate" to exercise...

And when you get older, it's so important to keep moving.

I saw this elderly woman on TV who was "frozen" and couldn't move. Her doctor said, "I can get you unstuck, but you have to keep moving and never stop!"

And she didn't. She was like 90-something, hunched over, and pushing a big filled wheelbarrow, doing her gardening.

I think she had learned what a GIFT it is to be able to move, and accomplish activities that she loved...

I'm going to try that affirmation: "I'm the kind of person that just can't sit still!"

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

Amanda, WTG with how much weight you've lost already!! And you're completely right that we can talk ourselves out of being active, vibrant and healthier by shunning exercise!
    ---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal
    highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150
    *He leadeth me.

Replies

Great post, Amanda! I think there is so much to training your brain!

I actually LOVE exercise once I'm doing it, and I especially LOVE how great I feel afterwards and all the health and energy benefits, and yet, I fight myself almost EVERY SINGLE TIME about it. I enter the whole mind debate of do I want to, well not really, well maybe I won't, but I should, and I need to, but I don't feel like it...and on and on. My WW leader calls the mental debate we do with our ourselves "committee meetings."

On the Committed vs. Interested post, one of the lines that jumped out at me was that interested people wait until they feel like doing the things they need to do to lose weight, and obviously, since we don't always feel like doing those things, we don't. That's my huge problem about so many things! I just can't wait until I feel like it because there will be many times when I don't feel like doing what I need to do, but I need to do it anyway if I want all the payoffs on the other side. I am working on a "just do it/no debate" attitude. I'm going to try the affirmation: I can't wait to exercise today!
    Aimee

Replies
    Blog Entries

"Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being,
    while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it."
    Plato
    "A man's health can be judged by which he takes two at a time -
    pills or stairs."
    Joan Welsh

Two great quotes I had to share

Replies

hello buddys,

Amanda: I really liked your post about excersie yesterday. I used to be the kind of person that said: " I hate to go to the gym! The most I can do is walking in the park next to my house." but know, after reading this..... I promise myself I will never confess that unless I really give the gym a chance.

Mind power? ... I like that!!!
    Lily

SW 158. CW 134. GW 127

Replies

Thumbs up Re: What's up with hating exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by BeanBlossom View Post
    "Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being,
    while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it."
    Plato
    PLATO said that?!...

Wow.

Replies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WWCarol View Post
    PLATO said that?!...

Wow.

Accordingly to stresslesscountry.com! Of course sometimes you just can't trust these internet translations it could have been "get off your lazy arse" in Greek

Replies

Amanda!
    Aimee

Replies

Smile Re: What's up with hating exercise?

LOL!

I didn't know people were thinking about activity/health back then...

But that's cool.

Replies
    Blog Entries

So out of curiosity I looked up the Plato quote and he did actually say that! Go figure. No wonder we all think he was such a smart guy!

15. Default Re: What's up with hating exercise?

Nice post Amanda!!
    I think that anyone who hates exercise just has not found something they enjoy doing. Just because you need to do something physical doesn't mean you have to be a slave to the gym for heavens sake!! Do something different! Hike, ride a bike, pick up a jump rope, hula hoop, roller skate, garden, swim, dance, go cross the monkey bars at the park, skip, play hopscotch (this one will getcha, I swear...). Find something you enjoy doing, or that you find fun, and you will begin to add other things in because it feels good. In general I like to workout, not really for the workout, but because I feel amazing after. I feel like I can conquer the world because I ran 3 miles! I feel like I am super tough because I can hike up the mountain and back down!! It reminds me of how lucky I am to have this amazing body and all it can do!! It's not always easy, but it is worth it.

Replies

EXCELLENT post and great replies! I'm one that used to "hate exercising", now I can honestly say I "LOVE" it! I do! I look forward to going to the gym. I'm a newbie at running, and I can't yet say that I "LOVE" running, but I love the FEELING afterwards. I love the feeling of accomplishment (as I did in running my first 5K). Exercising is the only time sweating doesn't bother me! It feels GREAT!!

Thank you, Amanda, for posting this. You can see that you put a lot of thought into it.

Actually, if you don't mind, I'd like to put this in the "Training Manual". I think all "newbies" should read it.

Good job!
    L
    Be careful of your thoughts, for your thought become your words.
    Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.
    Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.
    Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.
    Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.
    Author unknown

http://laurdee.blogspot.com

17. Red face Re: What's up with hating exercise?

Good idea!

18. Default Re: What's up with hating exercise?

Amazing

19. Default Re: What's up with hating exercise?

Amazing tips you shared here with us.."I used to hate exercise, because I associated it with things that are boring to me, like sports and bike rides and walks. But now I have a stationary bicycle, which is great for me, because I can read while I'm on it.

http://whatsinmypantry.net/