Thread: Vacation Schmacation!

Talking Vacation Schmacation!

This isn't really a milestone reached, but I'm darn proud of myself right now and had to share!

I just got back from 10 days in Miami. I was attending a singing conference and had to eat every meal out, as there was no refrigerator in my hotel room. I was pretty stressed out at the beginning of the week, but this is what I did:

1) Went ahead and paid $12.00 at the hotel restaurant every day for a single serving size box of Special K, a cup of skim milk, a banana, and some orange juice. It was tough spending that much for that meal, but figured it was necessary!

2) Ordered appetizers (non-fried ones), small plates, or salads at lunch with iced tea.

3) Walked and swam A LOT. Danced one night! The elevators at the hotel I was staying in were being worked on all week, so the few that were running would be jam packed. I took the stairs a lot from the 7th floor!

4) Dinners were the biggest challenge. I had to really read the menu and figure out what sounded like the fewest points. I made the best choices I could from the information given. And I actually left half of a plate of food a couple times because the portions were too big.

My weakness this trip was the booze. I know I drank too much, but I kept track of all the food and drink that went into my body and all of my activity points and did OK! I had FUN without feeling DEPRIVED!

I had my first weigh-in last night (since I got back), and I lost 1.8 pounds!

This really proved to me that I can do this! I WILL reach my Goal Weight and WILL be able to keep that lost weight off!

Thanks for listening! (Reading!)
    Pugdad Michael

65 pounds lost! GOAL!!!
    MO Platoon Member #784

My Before & After Pix!
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=194025

Default Re: Vacation Schmacation!

Congratulations Michael!!!!! Losing weight while on vacation is a huge accomplishment, and you should just be so proud of yourself soldier!!
    I refuse to sacrifice what I want most for what I want now!! (Author unknown)

163/139/129
    October, 2008

3. Default Re: Vacation Schmacation!

What a fabulous accomplishment; CONGRATULATIONS!
    Don't try, do...

BethAnn
    Proud Mom of DS, Zane, 11

HW: 282 SW: 279 GW: 150... On my weigh to goal

Replies

Thumbs up Re: Vacation Schmacation!

Two big thumbs up Micheal!! That is an awesome accomplishment!!!
    Height-5'9 HW-244
    SW-240
    CW-229/-2
    GW-160

Mini goal-200 by vacation !!
    (29 pounds, 12 weeks to go)

Tracie

Replies

Mike,
    You inspired me, I'm going on vacation next week and I don't want to just simply maintain, I want to LOSE. Plus we started around the same and now you have me by 6LBS. Thanks, and on your loss!!!
    - Ron
    MO #131

10 Percent Goal met 6/14/2008

GO PHILLIES!!!

Hi, Michael,

I'm printing out your post for a trip coming up next week -- what a fabulous bunch of tips!

Sorry to say I did NOT accomplish what you did when I went on my previous trip -- but you have inspired me to reach for a better result.

Congratulations on having fun but not breaking the bank!
    Liz

First joined: 1986, lifetime 1991
    Recommitted: 11/28/2007
    Start weight: 198.4
    Goal: 150 (6/5/08)
    Currently: 149.4 (2/12/09)
    PG: 145

Replies

Way to go Michael, congrats. I appreicate your sharing your story. Wtg on the loss too.

Aw! Thanks everyone!

Lots of vacations coming up for folks! I'd love to hear how they go!

And if the elevators in your hotels are working, just pretend they aren't! Stairs aren't so bad!
    Pugdad Michael

65 pounds lost! GOAL!!!
    MO Platoon Member #784

My Before & After Pix!
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...d.php?t=194025

Replies

Michael - That is truly inspriational! I'm so glad to hear you had a great time - AND lost weight...a true BCBer!!! Well done!
    ~Caitlin~
    HW:252 SW:241.6 CW179.4 WWGW:160

10. Default Re: Vacation Schmacation!

Way to go Michael!!

Congratulations!
    MT

MT

Good job Michael and excellent advice. The $12 for cereal would kill me because I am pretty uh, thrifty, But it is like paying extra for pre-measured portions in the grocery store - sometimes you just have to suck it up to stay OP.
    Laurie

History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again. Maya Angelou
    HW 274/SW 247/CW 194

mochalattekona Guest

I am going on a 5 day cruise in 3 weeks (my 1st) and also hope to lose weight by making wise choices and lots of activities on and off board.

Congrats on your loss!

Congrats! Awesome job!

Katrisha R.

Rejoined WW 9/04/07
    SW-146
    WWG-128 12/7/07
    Lifetime 121.2 1/17/08
    CW-116.2
    PGW Range 114-116

healthydays Guest

WTG!

You made the right choice on the $12. breakfasts. I can relate to your feelings but I guess you would have paid a price either way....you just took the cheapest way out by having a healthy breakfast that only cost you money and did not cost you anything in regards to your weight, health or goal.

Excellent and well worth being proud of - congrats and thanks for the inspiration that you can always find a way to stay OP.
    With perseverance, even the snail made it to the ark - Charles H. Spurgeon

dancingthepoundsaway Guest

For those planning a holiday we had some good advice in our class this week..

I'm from Dublin, Ireland so don't think we have same topics ect.

Anyways.. in relation to holidays our leader was saying getting breakfast right is very important... on my recent holiday I made sure to have a healthy breakfast but wasnt very strict with my lunch and dinner, if it is your once a year holiday you need be able to enjoy the odd treat.

The big thing however is not letting the odd treat on the holiday turn into a full out holiday binge. I ate a healthy breakfast and lunch most days but ate out for dinner and had the odd desert..

I put on about 3lbs over two weeks but found it came off quickly when I came back...

A tip our leader gave us was not to allow a 'bad moment' (ie a sneeky desert) turn into a 'bad day' or a 'bad week'

If you plan ahead for a holiday (I took about four boxs of weight watchers bars!!!) you will find it alot easier..

I think im rambling now hope this helped somebody lol

17. Default Re: Vacation Schmacation!

Congratulations Michael that is no small accomplishment, keep up the good work

Replies

Inspiring. Thanks for sharing and showing that it can be done.
    10/08 256/227
    8/09 245.2