These are just some of the amazing benefits of a healthy diet. I know, the information out there on this topic is overwhelming, and you probably don't know where to begin.
So Where Do you Start?*Hint* Check Your Grocery List! Get started with your shopping cart. This may seem like a routine task to many, but the hour a week you spend in the grocery store will DRAMATICALLY alter how you feel each day. I’m going to break down 5 essential foods that you should be buying each week to ensure your diet has you feeling like a SUPERSTAR (think Molly Shannon from Saturday Night Live)!
1. Berries – Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries.Berries are full of antioxidants and high in potassium and Vitamin C. They are essential for lowering your risk of heart disease and cancer as well as being anti-inflammatory. Inflammation is the root cause of all major chronic diseases so think of berries as your guardian angel against these illnesses that affect 75% of Americans.
2. Fish – Salmon, Tuna, TroutLike berries, fish is going to help reduce your risk of many illnesses including heart disease and may also aid in psychological issues such a memory loss and depression. The key nutrients in fish are the Omega 3’s which can also be purchased as a supplement in most grocery stores if you don’t like the taste of seafood. Sorry, no excuses for missing this one!
3. Vegetables – Kale, Spinach, BroccoliYou were hoping this wasn’t going to be on the list…but here it is! Vegetables are going to add fiber to your diet which will aid in the protection against many common problems like type 2 diabetes and obesity. Vegetables are also low in calories so they can help fill you up while you maintain a low caloric intake each day.
4. Whole Grains – Whole Grain Rice, Whole Grain CerealWhole grains contain all the antioxidant benefits of fruits and vegetables but on a MUCH larger scale. Everyone can find whole grain foods they enjoy whether it’s Kashi cereal, Quaker Oats flavored oatmeal or whole grain peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (mouthwatering)! Add these into your diet today.
5. Nuts – Walnuts, Almonds, CashewsEven though nuts are high in fat, studies have shown that combined with a healthy diet, they help accelerate weight loss and reduce waist size. This is due to the healthy fats and high amount of protein that your body needs to function effectively. No, this is not an excuse to head out to the nearest bar to start eating peanuts because you don’t feel like shopping!
To start eating healthy, the key is to focus when you’re at the store. Always shop around the perimeter of the store where the essential foods like fruit, vegetables and proteins are - before going down the aisles of sugary temptation.
You should always consult with a personal trainer or nutritionist to make sure your diet lines up with your specific goals. Whether you’re looking for a healthier lifestyle or want a specific body shape, consulting with experts is a great way to ensure you’re making the most of your meals.